Fin Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Generally people who like Jet Fins and swear by them tend to hate Rocket Fins and they are definitely not the same. When approached the other way, people who start in rocket fins tend to hate them and then generalize that dislike to Jet Fins.

I've used rockets. IIRC they may have been slightly stiffer than my jets. To me it's 6 to 1, half dozen to the other. Just get what fits your feet/boots.

So you do think that the buckle type has no importance?

I see most of the tec divers use vented fins that have old school buckles. I have the super rocket fins and I love how they feel. They are really powerful. And they have large post buckles with quick release straps. I replaced it's orginal straps with XS scuba steel springs. So is it ok?

So you do think that the buckle type has no importance?

I see most of the tec divers use vented fins that have old school buckles. I have the super rocket fins and I love how they feel. They are really powerful. And they have large post buckles with quick release straps. I replaced it's orginal straps with XS scuba steel springs. So is it ok?

Not sure about the tec dudes in your area, but in my neck of the woods spring straps are the norm. VERY tough, have never seen one break personally. (cannot say the same for old school buckles).
As for the type of fins: can you back fin and helicoptor turn proficiently? Are you comfortable using them? If yes then they will work just fine :D

I've used rockets. IIRC they may have been slightly stiffer than my jets. To me it's 6 to 1, half dozen to the other. Just get what fits your feet/boots.

1+.

I began with Rocket fins in the 70's.... in fact, most of my dives have been in Rocket fins... but I switched to Jet fins 3 years ago when I returned to diving, and now greatly prefer the Jets. The Rockets are stiffer (too stiff for many folks), the Jets are less stiff (better for most folks).

Best wishes.

Well I am comfortable with the rockets, for me, their stiffness is perfect. But ofcourse I do not know what I would feel if I try a pair of jets. So far so good with the rockets.

Now I am moving in tec diving and I will see how they will work.

Pacific-Explorers : So old school buckles break? And yes I can back fin and helicopter turn effectively. But I do not know how these turns would change if I try them wearing a pair of jets. Would be better maybe do not know? But I am not planning to buy jets yet. I better tear these rockets first. It just has been a year since I bought them. They are still so strong. I think those rockets will last forever or something. They look like bullet proof. I will see....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom