Scored a pair of IDI frog fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Somebody turned in a pair if old IDI power fins
Frog Foot model to my LDS and they gave them to me.
They’re a solid rubber heavy black fin with the same straps/locks as a jet.
They are a few inches longer than a jet and they have no vents. Kind of a cool looking fin.
The rubber seems a bit softer than jets and the foot pocket is softer. These are size large and I can force my 13 bootie into the foot pocket but it’s not ideal. I did some research and there was no mention that they made an XL. Apparently they were a military style fin?
Has anybody heard of these or used them?
@David Wilson
XL Jet on left.
IMG_0967.jpeg

They are a few inches longer than a jet and they have no vents. Kind of a cool looking fin.
The rubber seems a bit softer than jets and the foot pocket is softer. These are size large and I can force my 13 bootie into the foot pocket but it’s not ideal. I did some research and there was no mention that they made an XL. Apparently they were a military style fin?
@David Wilson
XL Jet on left.
View attachment 807457
Used to see them once in a while in the 80’s and 90’s. Definitely old school. Have not tried them so can’t say whether they’re heavier, stiffer, more/less comfortable than Jets. Good find.

Used to see them once in a while in the 80’s and 90’s. Definitely old school. Have not tried them so can’t say whether they’re heavier, stiffer, more/less comfortable than Jets. Good find.
I used them the other day for a shore dive.
They are OK for regular fin kicking alternate style, I guess they call that flutter kicking?
For feet up stuff not so much, they are kinda floppy out on the ends and they are long and wide. A lot of power but hard on my feet since I couldn’t get my foot very far into the pockets. I got a few foot cramps which I’m sure would subside if I got used to them. For the second dive I switched back to jets because I need the weight for urchin collecting. I’m considering stuffing rock or weights into the jet holes to make then heavier to keep my feet down during shallow urchin work. The surge throws me around quite a bit and being light footed is very annoying.

I had some really brittle ones that I pitched a few years ago. I think they were left in the sun for 20 years. I never tried diving them.

We were using neoprene booties that the wetsuit guy made for you or you made for you

Then before you wore them through, you had to glue, some stuff to the bottom, for some sole

So I understand small foot pockets and got even smaller when we started wearing chunk soles

But why but why but why why Delilah do they maintain that bulbous sideways moving toe

Mr Floppy fins

We were using neoprene booties that the wetsuit guy made for you or you made for you

Then before you wore them through, you had to glue, some stuff to the bottom, for some sole

So I understand small foot pockets and got even smaller when we started wearing chunk soles

But why but why but why why Delilah do they maintain that bulbous sideways moving toe

Mr Floppy fins
I made a pair of 7mm neoprene socks from an old Rubatex wetsuit that a guy gave me for free.
They work great but I need to glue something on for a sole. Some thin textured rubber.
I can’t answer to the huge toe pocket on those old fins, except that I read an old ad saying they gave plenty of room so your toes wouldn’t get smashed. Maybe they were created before the hiking boot/sneaker fashion wear style dive booties came out?

@David Wilson
XL Jet on left.
View attachment 807457
Sorry this didn't come to my notice months ago. This said, I have very little information about the IDI company or its fins. I have the following advertisement from the Summer 1979 issue of "Sports Diver" magazine, but the size ranges of the fins it featured are not mentioned.

1707138280448.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom