accommodation options - 31.12.10 !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TremayneJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there.

Couple of things really. My wife and I are off to Belize later this month for a couple of weeks; 1 wk in Placencia (Laru Beya) and then a weeks diving while we stay at the Turneffe Resort. Really looking forward to it!

It so happens that my sister in law is also visiting Belize but towards the end of the year - she's doing a week on the Peter Hughes liveaboard. The boat embarks on New Years day - and she's looking for accommodation options in Belize City just for one night - 31.12.10. Her budget has been stretched a little by the rest of the holiday and really she just wants somewhere nice enough that isn't going to be too costly or difficult to get to. If anyone has any suggestions - that would be great. I think new years eve is a bit of a funny time to be trying to book a room and I think she is struggling a little.

For us - we are a little torn between which wetsuits to take on the trip. We'll be diving from about the 31st October. What sort of water temperatures is anyone seeing right now? (doubt the additional couple of weeks will make a huge difference)

Lastly - for anyone living in Placencia; should we expect everything to be open and 'happening' or is that week starting 31st November liable to be a fairly quiet time with some places shut?

regards

Tremayne

Most Hughes and Aggressor passengers go with the Radisson Fort George. It has a pool, bar and food. It''s also attached the dock where the Dancer ties up.

There's also the Great House (across the street). Usually a little cheaper but the rooms are not as nice.

Water temp is around 80F. Most people dive with a 3mm full or 5mm shorty.

hiya - thanks for that. I was hoping I could get away with a 3mm as the 5 takes up so much more space in the case!

Yup - the Radisson was the one PH suggested but its quite a lot more than my sis' in law was hoping to spend. Had a look at the Great House also. Folks - we need to be thinking cheaper still - but of course, no less cheerful!! Any more suggestions would be really welcome. It's just somewhere for her to stay the one night until she sails on the liveaboard the next day.

regards

In Belize City, cheap does not equal safe. You should be able to get into the less expensive side of the Radisson for about $100-110 USD/night. The other options are just going to cost you what you save in taxi fares.

There is another hotel up the street from the Radisson. Chateau Caribbean, but it looked like a hole from the outside.

Last edited:
We were at Turneffe Flats at the end of September. Water temp was a consistent 29 Celsius. Both of us were comfortable in full 3mm suits, but I would consider bringing a hood/hoodie if I were you.

Employees of the Flats also suggest the Radisson. Some of our fellow divers stayed the night at the Princess. When asked how the place was, they all simply shook their heads in disgust and moaned.

Tell your sis to just stretch her budget to the Radisson by far the best hotel available, and safe to boot

not worth scrimping where safety is concerned. It is convenient and has everything you need and close to the boat as well

Gaz Cooper

Personally, I prefer The Great House, but most folks choose the Radisson.

There really aren't many viable options in Belize City, but here's a couple more to consider that I'm sure must be cheaper:

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

I stayed in Seaside Guesthouse eight or nine years ago. It was safe, pretty clean, very basic, and cheap. Not what the average holidaymaker would choose, but OK for backpackers.

You could consider the Chateau Caribbean. It is right next door to the Radison and cheaper but you need to make sure you get a good room at the front. Some of the other ones are pretty grotty. In Placencia, everything is opening by November 1st and you are ahead of the busy season so should have good access to everything.
Regards
Ralph

Cheers Guys! I've emailed her all the options so far and will let her make her own mind up. Really appreciated.

Downing - absolutely loving those photos! Nothing like giving her all the options! Even though she'll be in the life of luxury for a week with Peter Hughes - the rest of her holiday is backpacking round Guatemala and Honduras.

Ralph - thanks for info re. Placencia. Not sure where I read it but I was getting worried a lot of the town was going to be shut.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom