Testifying in Court

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During my time as a police officer I have been called to court on several occasions. I cannot add much to the excellent advice already given other than a mental note. I found that if I divested myself from the outcome of the trial it reduced my stress level a great deal. It changed the event from a competition to a days work. Also, I will reemphasize the need to simply answer the question and stop talking. For those who have not testified in court before it might be helpful to note that you will be interviewed by the prosecutor "in the back room" and you can elaborate on details and theories to your hearts content at that point... then do the shift in mental gears and let the attorneys run the show.

As Joe Friday said: "Just the facts". Suggestions I make to anyone I am schooling on courtroom techniques, based on my 32 years in the trenches as an attorney:

1. You absolutely cannot play word games with an attorney. Trying to do so will end up making you look foolish, probably piss off the judge, and the jury (if any) will ignore everything you say. Resist the temptation even when the attorney questioning you is a complete idiot. Yes, some are, and the jury or judge will determine that quickly without your input. Stay professional and it will work out.

2. As noted previously, take complete and copious notes, at the time of your dive, recovery or evidence collection. Whatever is not written down did not happen, and trying to add to something not in your report will open the door to impeachment and discrediting your testimony. "I forgot to put it in" is not a good excuse in court! Many people testifying make the mistake of not answering the specific question asked. If the attorney questioning you asks a question, answer only what he asked and do not add to it or "clarify" what he asked. You may feed him/her information on a line of questions that they had not thought of. Cases have been lost doing this.

3. Photos of the particular activity are worth 1000 words. Video is cheap these days, and even underwater camera gear is reasonable for any agency. It is also quite helpful to write a report when you look at what you did, and match the report to the video.

4. Remember that underwater operations should be a "code red" situation for you. The activity can be as dangerous or more so than any traffic stop. PSD's die regularly forgetting this. On all body recoveries, I have a policy that I will never put a live diver in jeopardy to get a dead body if the conditions are not perfect. Wait until the situation gets better. Most of the time the body comes to us anyway. Evidence recoveries work the same rule, and I prefer to send the ROV for a look or grab in many instances. Document such decisions in your report.

5. If you have to hand-write a report, by all means write legibly or print clearly (think of first-grade printing!) I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to try to decipher bad handwriting! Use a computer if you can, and for heaven sake use the spell checker !!.

6. A favorite trick of mine is to ask someone on the stand a question which they then answer. I then stare at them quietly for up to a minute or so. Most of the time, the person will become uncomfortable and start talking again and feed me a lot of great stuff most of which makes for good impeachment material. If the attorney is staring at you%2

?????

As a fire department diver, I do not routinely get caled to court. In 30 years, I have ben called to tetify once. I teach - and my dive teams train to hand off ANY evience at the waters edge. If I recover an object in zero vis, place it in a container underwater and hand it off to a waiting officer at the edge of the water. my information is limited to what I did and how I did it. Beyond that, my (our) responsibility to evidence and testimony is limited at best.

Dive teams should NOT be the same people who transport, process or handle evidence once it is out of the water.

Divers should write an after action report that details as much information concerning their own actions and observations as possible and these reports should be kept for future reference if called to court.

Mark Phillips
Editor / Publiser
PSDiver Monthly
PSDiver.com

Just a quick question for those on here who are employed in law enforcement. I study on a course which teaches the how to write and present a court report, both as an expert witness, and as a police officer. In the British criminal justice system a police officer can only report facts and not opinions:
eg. "I found the window ajar. the wooden frame was damaged." as opposed to "the window had been forced open" Only an expert witness can give opinions such as the second statement.
Is this the same in the US?

Just a quick question for those on here who are employed in law enforcement. I study on a course which teaches the how to write and present a court report, both as an expert witness, and as a police officer. In the British criminal justice system a police officer can only report facts and not opinions:
eg. "I found the window ajar. the wooden frame was damaged." as opposed to "the window had been forced open" Only an expert witness can give opinions such as the second statement.
Is this the same in the US?

Basically that is correct but it's not a cut and dry thing. The best thing to do is follow your department’s policy and JUST answer the questions asked. After you have been doing it for a while you’ll know when and how to get your licks in.

Basically that is correct but it's not a cut and dry thing. The best thing to do is follow your department’s policy and JUST answer the questions asked. After you have been doing it for a while you’ll know when and how to get your licks in.

Thank you for your response. Over here it is cut and dry, if some one attempts to make a statement of opinion when not authorised to, if it somehow made it to the witness stand the opposing side would tear them apart for it. more likely however it would be rejected as evidence for the case.

Thank you for the advice but I'm on a forensics course, not training to be a police officer, suppose my avatar might seem misleading :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. Over here it is cut and dry, if some one attempts to make a statement of opinion when not authorised to, if it somehow made it to the witness stand the opposing side would tear them apart for it. more likely however it would be rejected as evidence for the case.

Thank you for the advice but I'm on a forensics course, not training to be a police officer, suppose my avatar might seem misleading :)

Apparently it's not so cut and dry over here. I was mistaken. Just like you said, it is basically the case, but its not that cut and dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom