RecSea S95 or FIX S95?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree $200 for a mount adaptor seems excessive, but anyone who is looking to buy the FIX/Recsea housing ($800) over the Ikelite ($300) or Canon ($180) housing clearly recognizes that some things are worth a few extra bucks....

:(

Yep:

P6050319.jpg

Inon UFL165AD, sharp, snappy focus, best close focus:

P2020182.jpg

IMG_0480_edited-1.jpg

Inon WAL100-67mm plus Inon dome, no flare even into the sun, best color:

P2030186.jpg

IMG_1011_edited-1.jpg

Fisheye/FIX UWL-04, widest FOV, decent close focus, can zoom (some) without much distortion:

P6050322.jpg

IMG_0345_edited-1.jpg

Each of the above lenses has certain things it does better than the others. Not to mention the Inon macro lens UCL165AD or UCL165-67mm. At this moment I do not know of a 52mm macro lens, though, not being a macro person, I may have missed that somewhere. It cost me the price of the housing, 799 dollars, the 190 dollars 67mm port adapter, a 10 dollars AD adapter and the 35 dollars 52mm adapter to utilize five different lens (including my macro stuff) on a single housing and camera rig. I would not be willing to give that up, no way.

N

Nemrod
WHat adapter are you using to mount the UFL-165AD on the FIX housing? I have been trying to come up with a something that will work with the Reef Photo 46mm to 52mm ring, but when I add a 52mm to 67 mm ring and then a 67mm to AD adapter I find that the lens is nearly 3mm from the port and pictures are fuzzy. From your pictures it appears that you are using the FIX AD adapter so I have to assume that give you very close placement. With an S90 in the Canon housing and INON AD adaptor the WA lens was so close to the port it left a little mark (but not a scratch) on the port glass, and I got better pictures than I am with the S95 in the RecSea housing with stacked step-up rings, aside from TDC challenges.

Nemrod
WHat adapter are you using to mount the UFL-165AD on the FIX housing? I have been trying to come up with a something that will work with the Reef Photo 46mm to 52mm ring, but when I add a 52mm to 67 mm ring and then a 67mm to AD adapter I find that the lens is nearly 3mm from the port and pictures are fuzzy. From your pictures it appears that you are using the FIX AD adapter so I have to assume that give you very close placement. With an S90 in the Canon housing and INON AD adaptor the WA lens was so close to the port it left a little mark (but not a scratch) on the port glass, and I got better pictures than I am with the S95 in the RecSea housing with stacked step-up rings, aside from TDC challenges.

I am using the FIX 67mm port kit and the 10Bar AD to 67mm adapter. Easy and simple and it places the lens very close without touching. You can "sand" the front of the 10Bar adapter if it is a little tight and that will move the lens even closer. I get no vignetting zoomed to the 35mm setting and a very wide FOV as is shown, what you see is what you get. .

James

I really like the RecSea S95 housing, I just got quite a few of them in stock and I'll be putting up a review this weekend. They made lots of nice improvements over the FIX S90 housing which they built.

The controls seem perfect, and the build quality outstanding.

Scott

I really like the RecSea S95 housing, I just got quite a few of them in stock and I'll be putting up a review this weekend.

Looking forward to reading it.

I think it will finally seal the decision of RecSea S95 vs FIX S95 for me.

:D

I really like the RecSea S95 housing, I just got quite a few of them in stock and I'll be putting up a review this weekend. They made lots of nice improvements over the FIX S90 housing which they built.

The controls seem perfect, and the build quality outstanding.
Scott, do also you carry the M67 lens adapter (i.e. 67mm Type II) for the RecSea S95?

John, I think you mean the RecSea 67mm AD adapter, yes we carry that adapter

Scott

Thanks for bringing these into the states Scott! Order just placed for the RecSea S95 housing...

~PDX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom