Belize for new Junior Divers???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dscastle

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip for my husband and I and our 2 teenage children (13 and 14). This will be the kids' first dive trip. I would like to keep their dives 40 - 60 feet, and with minimal current. Is Belize a good choice for this? If so, what dive operations or resorts would you recommend? If not, do you have other destination suggestions? Thanks!

Hey there

You can definately find conditions in Belize suitable for your kids. places like the aquarium on the lighthouse reef would be perfect for the situation you describe.

I can not really offer suggestions as to who to go with, when I went I went from Caye Caulker and I do not recal the dive shop name nor do I have my logbook with me. Caye Caulker appeared to be more a backpacker type vybe great fun for 18-30's but I didn't see much in the way of family stuff, I am lead to believe that Ambergeris is more what you are looking for but can not comment on this first hand.

The issue you may have that I ran in to is contactability, I sent emails to 10 operations in Belize prior to my trip there and did not recieve 1 response. I would avoid planning to stay in Belize city.

try this link Find a dive shop, scuba diving shop, dive resort or scuba dive shop

Could be worth sending out a blanket email

I have visited Ambergeris Caye and found that the divemasters will work with you as far as your diving preference. As far as lodging I stayed and would recommend a condo type setting where you have the option of maiking your own meals. I have used the folks at the following link and have found them to be responsive and reasonable. They offer a lodging/dive package that includes a jungle trip. They are accomodating and will substitute the Blue Hole, for example, for a day of tubing. The also will arrange the flight from BZE to Ambergeris Caye and airport pickup. That link is:
Belize Tradewinds - Welcome
Good Luck and enjoy!

Might want to look at a liveaboard, The Belize Aggressor and the Sun Dancer both are great choices. When you add up Hotel, dives, and meals liveaboards are a great choice. They will make sure you have a great time and watch out for the kids.
Most of the walls start in 40 feet of water, no currents great visibility. When they do Blue Hole (130ft) just stay at the top of the reef 10 to 45 feet. Belize is great diving.

Belize is a great place for new divers. Good vis, mild currents, lots to see at a variety of depths. I went with the Aggressor for both of my trips but with 4 people Ambergris Caye would be much cheaper and offer more to do than just diving.

If you plan you trip around a quarter moon you'll have the lightest currents and the best vis.

We got back from San Pedro, Ambergeris, this October. We also used Tradewinds for our condo. Nice location and unit, right on the beach (sea wall), close enough to walk to any where in town. One tip is that you can ask your housekeeper to do a wash and fold for you. Allows you to pack lighter and come back with clean clothes. When we asked what it would cost, she said "We could pay her what it was worth." She got the full US rate for that when we left. The four of us, two couples, really like Paradise Villas and Tradewinds.

To keep the kids shallow you will need to stay on the top of the reef. Not a problem since you can follow the bubbles of the group while they are deeper in the canyons. Besides, the top of the reef is where all the neat little critters live.

On our trip we used two dive shops, Ecologic and Island Divers. Doing it a second time, I would go with Island Divers.

One thing that really paid off for us was getting a 5 gallon jug of water rather than buying liters. The deposit on the jug was $12.5US and the water ran $0.60US a gallon. Got the $12.5 back when we left and it beat spending $1.50 a liter for water. Don't want the hassle of returning the jug, I am sure that the housekeeper will be more than happy to collect the deposit.

If you take a flight from Belize City to San Pedro, Tropic Air would get my business again. Talk with the ticket agents at the gate and see if you can get one of the kids a ride in the copilot's seat. It is open for passengers and something most people don't get to do.

Have a great time.

Last edited:
There are a lot of choices here that fit your description.
Ambergris- the "Waikiki" of Belize
Caye Caulker- more laid back. About 8 miles from San Pedro.
Southern region- Stann Creek, Resorts on the mainland and a few islands that require 20-30 minute boat rides out to the barrier reef. More wall diving compared to the "spur and groove" diving of the north. There are also a couple islands, Tobacco and Southwater Cayes that are right on the barrier reef.
Placencia- Very laid back old fishing village turned tourist area. Diving on the reef is very good but it's 20 miles out to the reef. Also has some inner cayes with good diving....but not as clear or deep as outside the barrier reef.
Outer Atholls- Turneffe, Glovers Reef and Lighthouse Reef. All have resorts. All around best diving in most people's opinions. Not much to do but dive though.

For me? I prefer the outer atholls or the southern barrier reef.

With the exception of a couple cuts in the reef (Hol Chan, Bacolar Chico, Magatan Channel, Gladden Spit) and the ends of the atholls like the Elbow of Turneffe, there is very little current in Belize. We only have about 1.5 feet maximum tide change. All the areas have excellent shallow (less than 60 feet) diving.

You can check us out at Scuba Diving, Snorkeling & Whale sharks Belize|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize or contact patty at patricia@splashbelize.com. In particular, look at our kids program where we have been teaching local kids whose parents cannot afford diving lessons for several years. Divng situation in Belize is ideal for kids. We have 2 kids from the US and 1 from Canada going out with us tomorrow to Laughing Bird Caye (a national park and world heritage site) plus 3 kids from our local kids program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom