Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always ensure that me and my buddy have comunicated the proper procedure for hood removals, just three more times and I plan on getting my PADI hood removal cert.

:hm: I wonder if anyone presents a C card for Solo Diver Hood removal:fear: I have more trouble with boot removal myself. When they finally come off people think my red face has something to do with the rude sound they make when they finally release:blush:

My buddy always wants to help me with my hood and I'm afraid if I let him I'll end up with my eye poked out!

I keep coming back here for some funny stories ... come on folks ... no close calls lately? :D

Heres one for you all,
When I was getting all my gear for my OW checkout, the very helpful lady at my LDS was trying to size what wetsuit I should wear. I told her that an extra large would probably be best for me, she looked at me and handed me a medium or large and said "Humor me and try this on". Im pretty sure it was a medium, it took forever to get my legs into the suit and of course as I started sweating the suit just stuck to me even worse. I don't know why I kept trying to get it on, but all I could think was "Does she literally mean humor her? Because I would be laughing my ass off if I saw what I looked like trying to get that damn thing on." After about 30 minutes, I gave up and requested the extra large which fit perfectly. I did get that panicked feeling that I was never going to be able to get it off, or have to ask the employee to assist me in removing my large self from their products.

Heres one for you all,
When I was getting all my gear for my OW checkout, the very helpful lady at my LDS was trying to size what wetsuit I should wear. I told her that an extra large would probably be best for me, she looked at me and handed me a medium or large and said "Humor me and try this on". Im pretty sure it was a medium, it took forever to get my legs into the suit and of course as I started sweating the suit just stuck to me even worse. I don't know why I kept trying to get it on, but all I could think was "Does she literally mean humor her? Because I would be laughing my ass off if I saw what I looked like trying to get that damn thing on." After about 30 minutes, I gave up and requested the extra large which fit perfectly. I did get that panicked feeling that I was never going to be able to get it off, or have to ask the employee to assist me in removing my large self from their products.

Maybe she was trying to create an "opportunity" :eyebrow:

OK, this thread has so many posts that I can't remember--perhaps I already added this incident, but I doubt it.

My original post about the hooded vest came about because I had a unique, one day opportunity to order gear at key man pricing, and I had to guess on sizes in a couple of occasions, including the murderous hooded vest. I also ordered a 5mm full suit, which thankfully did fit (barely), even though it was the same size as the too-small vest. (I think zippers make a big difference.)

I don't dive 5 mm suits much, and this one hung in the closet for a couple of years before I trotted it out for a trip to the Galapagos. It was on that trip that I discovered that I had (ahem!) gained a couple of pounds. Every dive became an ordeal, both getting in and out of the suit.

One time I was struggling to pull the sleeve up over my massive bicep :)D). My hand slipped off after one of those vigorous tugs, and my thumbnail cut my arm open. It wasn't deep, but it was bloody, and the effect was lasting.

Remember that scene in Jaws where they are on the boat showing off their scars from past shark encounters? Well, I now have the scar I need to compete. "Scars?" I can say, pushing my sleeve up, "Let me show you a little something I picked up in the Galapagos..."

Back
Top Bottom