Electronics for custom DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have some ideas about building a variable speed trigger operated speed controller . I also would like it to have a on , off switch for the electronics . To top this off without any water penetration in the design . I have used reed switches and relays for simple one speed applications but this will be a challenge . I was thinking to use some automotive and E V electronics with some mechanical magnetic design to actuate controls . Suggestion will be appreciated regards Charles

I have some ideas about building a variable speed trigger operated speed controller . I also would like it to have a on , off switch for the electronics . To top this off without any water penetration in the design . I have used reed switches and relays for simple one speed applications but this will be a challenge . I was thinking to use some automotive and E V electronics with some mechanical magnetic design to actuate controls . Suggestion will be appreciated regards Charles

I don't know what type and size of motor your DPV has, but have you thought of using a R/C speed controller and a servo tester to control the speed? Something like this and this.
By the way, going in that direction you may want to consider a brushless motor, more efficient, quiet and can work underwater with no problem (as long as you take care of protecting the parts against corrosion)

To actuate the controls you could use two discs with rare earth magnets, one inside attached to the servo tester potentiometer shaft and one outside to the speed knob/trigger/whatever, in between you can have a 2mm thick aluminum plate (plastic may not be strong enough and ferro magnetic metals are out of the question!

What type of scooter do you have?

I have a solid state variable speed control in my Mako that was built by an electrical engineer. The only time I use the speed control is when I want to go really slow, since my scooter is already slow.

Happy Holidays I have built a few custom prototypes Peter and have a project on the drawing board . The motor is very big AleG with 110 pounds of thrust so the electronics need to be heavy duty . I was looking at a kelly PWM motor controller for golf carts and a automotive accelerator position sensor for the variable speed . regards Charles

Happy Holidays I have built a few custom prototypes Peter and have a project on the drawing board . The motor is very big AleG with 110 pounds of thrust so the electronics need to be heavy duty . I was looking at a kelly PWM motor controller for golf carts and a automotive accelerator position sensor for the variable speed . regards Charles

110 pounds of thrust?

Are you planning to haul around stolen thermonuclear devices or something? :eyebrow:

What kind of scooter is this and where are the photos? Specs?

Merry Christmas fellow divers . Peter it is homegrown . I must have two thousand hours of design and development through the years . It has applications which the one arm tow behind DPV has less capability . I will trickle some pictures in my profile . regards Charles

are there any electrical engineers on this project?? i'm in my last semester of undergrad ee right now.

...326 fpm...

A motor that size will take a big ol' stack of batteries...

Best of luck. For a project like this, the enjoyment is in the journey - so have fun!

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom