good, basic first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I wouldn't buy a new air-only computer at this point, if you have a place to get one like the Solution dirt cheap, that's different. I used to have a Solution and only replaced it because I wanted Nitrox.

If you like the basic Suunto a Zoop would be the closest choice now in that brand. Or you could look for a Gekko, which the Zoop replaced. They both do Nitrox. (AFAIK the Zoop is the same as the Gekko, only uglier, and allows downloading of dive data. The Gekko has download capability but has to be hacked to enable it.)

Do realize that most if not all the current basic computers are pretty much as simple as the Solution if not easier to use. (Another thing that has improved over some of those old computers are the buttons, which were a pain to operate on some old ones.)

Liberal = Aeris and Oceanic

Conservative = Suunto

On a two tank nitrox drift dive my pal with the Suunto Vyper runs out of time on the second dive. At the same time, my daughter will have about 30 minutes remaining on her Aeris computer. I have a Cressi computer and it gives results between the two.

The algorythm is what you are buying. The other features are secondary. Read up, as there are differences.

I got a Mares Puck then didn't use it and returned it unopened the next day and got an Oceanic Veo 250. Scubatoys is closing them out so I chose to replace it before my trip this Saturday.

It's a good price and although I've heard some negative things about the Veo 250 (from people that had issues), it seems the majority of people are happy with it.

I got the aeris xr1 nx. Haven't been in the ocean with it yet, but playing around with it I seems pretty easy to use. Got it for 250.

I picked up a couple of Veo 100 NX's for my wife and I beginning of last summer. Inexpensive and really easy to work with. Downside is no backlight.

I also recommend going with a Nitrox computer. Some of the trips that we have gone on were three tank trips but required Nitrox and computers. When you gotta travel, the extra tank makes the trip seem a little more cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom