Belize, Grand Caymans or T&C on a budget

Best overall location to dive: (on a budget)

• Grand Cayman

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Belize

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Turks & Caicos

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of the responses. Based on the feedback we're leaning towards Belize - a few days on Amergis and a few on Caulker. Flights are too expensive to T&C, so we ruled that out. Flights to Grand Caymen are the cheapest (from So Cal) but I think we'd have to spend too much $ on the island in comparison to Belize.

Based on the feedback we're leaning towards Belize - a few days on Ambergris and a few on Caulker.
The best diving in Belize is out on Lighthouse Reef and Turneffe Island. Staying out there, or getting out there each day, will generally cost more.

Look at the bottom line rather than the plane ticket. The cheaper flights are sometimes to the more expensive places, and vice versa. And look for cost effective diving as much as cost effective lodging - if you're spending around $160 on a room, you can easily spend more on diving than your room.

Of the places you're considering, probably easiest to do Belize the cheapest. But you're not going to get to the best diving in Belize if you do it that way. (A liveaboard may appear expensive but is probably the most cost effective way to do any of those 3 while getting the most and best of the diving there, and sometimes there are good deals.)

There are some less expensive places to stay on Grand Cayman. You can eat at the less expensive places, and eat some meals in if you have the facilities (but of course that will may make the room more expensive.) There is enough shore diving available that you can save money that way, though I wouldn't completely skip boats there as you'll miss most of the stuff it's famous for. And if you dive only the West End/7 Mile Beach area of the island, you may come away thinking 'meh" and have a much different opinion than if you dive the other 3 sides.

T&C, at least Provo, would be similar to what I said about Cayman, except shore diving isn't much of an option. And the 'meh' choice would be dives around Grace Bay, the better choices are the longer trips to places like West Caicos or French Cay. (Not sure about the bottom line for some of the other islands, like Grand Turk.)

Even though flights may be more expensive to Roatan and Bonaire, you could come out cheaper overall. Same for places like Curacao or Utila. Being in CA, I'd look into places in the Pacific. I'm pretty sure there are places you can spend less and get much better diving, with no more overall travel time.

Being in CA, I'd look into places in the Pacific. I'm pretty sure there are places you can spend less and get much better diving, with no more overall travel time.
Yes, good thought, I don't know why Californians opt for the Caribbean. Qantas has a non-stop to Fiji for $1300. Here's Undercurrent's Fiji overview:

For left coasters, it takes about the same amount of time to get to Fiji as it does to the Caribbean: 10 hours nonstop from L. A, and the diving in Fiji is arguably considerably superior to most in the Caribbean. Prices are comparable and air packages can include New Zealand/Australia extensions at little extra cost. Fijians are polite, friendly, modest, and religious, so watch your language, and wear nonrevealing clothes to town. Wetsuits are staples yearround; currents add coolness and in some places they're vigorous, so carry surface signaling devices when diving Fiji or Tuvalu.. In September 2004, American Dan Grenier, the former operator of Crystal Divers, disappeared with another diver while leading divers from Bamboo Reef Resort on Nananu-I-Ra. The weather can be stormy June through September; short, heavy showers are possible any afternoon year-round, especially around Beqa Lagoon. The year-round average temperature is 80 or above; nights average 69 degrees in winter.

I really didn't think Grand Cayman was that expensive....I'm looking to go to Turks & Caicos in July and the prices there are way above and beyond Grand Cayman. If you look into Grand Cayman, look up the Reef Resort. Every room has an ocean view room. The hotel is clean and there is a lot of creatures and life in three feet of water off the beach. There is a grocery right across the street and you can eat breakfast and lunch out of the hotel. The East End diving is pretty good...and I would recommend Ocean Adventures. You are on the less populated East End of the island, but its quiet and you can alway drive to the West End one day. I find it nice not having a ton of people around 24/7.

That being said, we didn't see a lot of large life in Grand Cayman so its not going to be like Turks & Caicos....but the walls were breathtaking and we got to swim with silversides, etc. I really enjoyed it.

Been to Belize to Isle Merisol on the south end of Glover's Reef. Zero night life. Very sparse "resort". But you'll have some company at the island bar which is built over the water. Wade a half mile out in 4 feet of water on the atoll. Walk along the outer reef. Sip some fine Scotch with your toes in the water when the sun goes down. I like to get away from the crowds, so it was nice in that way.

The diving was the easiest ever. No wind, no swells, and barely a current. Settle in at 35' to 60' and follow the walls and the half knot current. The boat always followed the bubbles and picked us up wherever we popped up. I had several 60 minute dives on a single AL80.

Somebody mentioned Fiji. Been there too. Land based and dove in the Bligh Water. Fairly long boat trips to the good dive spots. Somtimes too rough for the smaller of the boats. We would like to go back and do a liveaboard on the Bligh Water. Rough water be damned. The diving was great.

T&C was affordable as far as airfare and hotel goes. Food was pricy. even the grocery stores were expensive. We stayed at the Royal west indies resort and their restaurant was one of the more reasonable around with daily prix fixe menus. No need for a rental, if we needed to go anywhere the hotel had bikes for our use. it was also located close to most of what we wanted to do.

The diving kicked butt, we used both dive provo and flamingo divers. both were great, but i preferred the small outfit atmosphere of flamingo better.
+1 on diving around west caicos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom