Shark attacks on a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its simple really, the only reason that shark's circle you, or get close to you, is so you poop yourself, then they eat ya. Think about it would you eat a diver thats full of poop?

Happy Diving

Last edited by a moderator:
Its simple really, the only reason that shark's circle you, or get close to you, is so you poop yourself, then they eat ya. Think about it would you eat a diver thats full of poop ?

Happy Diving

LOL I dont think they quiet understand the Eat poop and die terminology

Last edited by a moderator:
I dive with hundreds of sharks each year.

Without a doubt, they are, hands down, the coolest and most enjoyable underwater species to hang with. Because I shoot video, I often end up by myself with other divers out of the way. I relax, slow my breathing, keep still and let them come in. Move slowly. Don't touch (it scares them). Don't exhale into them (it scares them). Once they adjust to your presence they seem to accept and enjoy your company. I've actually had one come up and nudge me several times when I was shooting video because I wasn't pointing the camera at her. She stopped and just stayed still for the camera when I started to film.

Look, if they REALLY wanted to take you out, they could at any time. They usually choose not to. Appreciate the gesture.

Here's video of a young friendly female off Hatteras island, NC:

[vimeo]12935171[/vimeo]

Here are my best encounters from 2008 with "scary" music to make it interesting:

[vimeo]3168545[/vimeo]

If you REALLY want to see how tolerant sharks are, watch this. And, NO, I didn't shoot it!

ENJOY!

I speak from absolutely no experience seeing a shark--and hope it stays that way. Screw statistics and sharks' lack of interest in eating divers. I always figured I'd slowly move to the quickest exit point from the water and pull out my tiny useless knife anyway while swimming. But I am in the tiny minority with that way of thinking.

I've dived with hundreds of sharks and how to react depends on the species, but in general, most of the advice above is sound - sharks rarely attack divers, and if they do it is because you have either really annoyed them (even if you didn't know that) - reasons might include territorial defense, perception of competition for a food source - or it's a case of mistaken identity in poor viz. It can happen though, and other users of this forum have had the experience.

Most sharks (I've dived with plenty) are skittish and wary of humans - after all you are 2 metres long and made of metal and bubbles, but some are very curious and will make close approaches (The oceanic white tip is renowned for this)

If you are lucky enough to see one - take lots of pictures! They are the most beautiful creatures. The classic "killers" - Great Whites, Tigers, Oceanic White Tips, Bulls, do not wholly deserve their reputation, but they are apex predators with several million years of evolution behind them and of course should be treated with extreme caution - and should they display aggressive behaviour, keep your eyes on the animal, don't make sudden movements, back to the reef or sink to the bottom where you are less of a target, bring the dive group together and calmly exit the water.

As a last resort, charging the shark is an option - Walter has a wonderful story about this - but it's not something I would like to attempt!

Don't try to pet the animals! Even a filter-feeding whale shark has the potential to be harmful if it decides to slap you with 6 metres of extremely powerful tail muscle!

In general, it is not something you should be worried about - and I'd rather come face to face with a Tiger shark (and have done so) than a wild bear.

I have been attacked by two species of fish underwater (unprovoked) - the Titan Triggerfish during mating season, and the clownfish (nemo). These for sure have got bigger cojones than your average shark...

And finally the old joke:
Diver 1: What do we do if we see a Great White?
Diver 2: Swim away as fast as possible!
Diver 1: Don't be ridiculous, you'll never out-swim a great white!
Diver 2: No, but I can swim faster than you! :D

Enjoy them while we still have them,

C.

I was wondering when that post would come to light. Though I sometimes find your post more of a riddle I do find this one informative as it has more information in it then I have been able to find myself over the last couple of hours. Thank you Knowone.

yes, a man was taken off Adelaide, South Australia (Australia) this week.

Shark Attack At South Australia | Howard Rodd

there is already a thread running in the Accidents and Incidents forum, so if you want more detail, suggest you go there.

on a personal note, trying to contact all i know who are offshore at the moment... i didn't know him, but some mates might. RIP.

Watch in awe. And see if she'll give you a little kiss...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom