Atomic Regulator Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the board. I have several Atomic regs and service them myself. Atomic regs are not hard to work on. Most people who learn to service regs can only do it through the dealers if they are working for a shop. There are very few schools that teach reg repair (IIRC there is one in Virginia and one in Florida). Most learn it on their own or through mentoring.

This past fall I was at DEMA and looked at going to the Atomic course which was a three hour course for $100. A friend who is a tech and who has helped me a few times said that reading the books and manuals below I probably knew as much as I would if I went to the class. So with that in mind:

Background books:

Vance Harlow's book on regulator maintenance : Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers

Pete's book on regulators: Regulator Savvy (Spiral Bound)

Atomic manuals: http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/atomic

Also scubatools.com is the place to get the proper tools. You can do much of the service without specialized tools but having them helps greatly.

Now being a gov. agency I am not sure what rules there might be about doing the service without specific training as I am sure the regs are considered "life support" equipment. Which probably brings in a slew of issues.

In the mean time you could always airmail the regs directly to Atomic for service. BTW you note year maintenance. But Atomic says every two years is fine.

Thanks very much for the link to the manuals. I don't plan to do my own work (no parts access) but I like knowing everything about my regs. The other links are great, too. I already have the Regulator Savvy book.

(Oddly, the Atomic manuals link wouldn't work for me until I added a trailing / to it. First time I have ever seen that problem.)

Hi, my name is John Iguel, and I am from the Northern Marianas Islands also known as Saipan. Saipan is about 45 minute plain ride from Guam and is also under the U.S. territory. I work for a government agency called Division of Environmental Quality (DEQ) under the Marine Monitring program. Basically we conduct marine surveys all around the Marianas islands, that requires alot of scuba diving. Eversince back in 2004, we purchased six (6) Atomic Ti2 Taitainium regulators, and since then every year we send our regulators to Guam for service cause it's the closest to our vicinty. Unfortunately the company that was doing the service for our regs has move out of the island and we have nobody to service our regs. It is a major concern of ours that our regs are serviced every year.

So my question is; Do you know if anyone offers hands on training for Atomic Ti2 Taitainium regulators around my vicinity? I would like to do the service myself for our own safety and conviency.

You have several (2 or 3, I think) Atomic dealers on Saipan who can do the service. Guam does not have a current Atomic dealer. I know that generally speaking non-dealers are not supposed to have access to parts, mostly because they do are not in the loop as far as unpdated technical bulletins and so forth.

My Atomic question is this: Is Darcy still the person to talk to about Atomic stuff? Does she still post here/ work at Atomic?

Darcy is still working for Atomic, saw her at DEMA in Nov. Someone I know contacted her just this past month. Not sure I have seen a post from her for quite some time. Probably best to contact her or Atomic directly.

SS1 stupid question:

The SS1 I have does not not have the wave washer, but the Atomic site seems to list seat savings orifice as one of the SS1's features.

Did they add the Wave Washer in the SS1 later, or is the 'Seat Saver' in the SS1 just the fact that the orifice can slide back when not under pressure?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom