Pinnacle Black Ice Drysuit: Mini Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's it like with the attached boots? It's definitely something I am thinking about. I don't hate the neoprene socks, but having to then also put on boots is one more step I'd love to be able to skip.

I like the attached boots much better than the socks. I had the boots on my Evo2 and got used to them. I find them much easier to deal with and more comfortable. Plus, they help me keep my trim (at least I think they do).

I think it is a personal thing as I have spoken with people that prefer the socks.

I like the attached boots much better than the socks. I had the boots on my Evo2 and got used to them. I find them much easier to deal with and more comfortable. Plus, they help me keep my trim (at least I think they do).

I think it is a personal thing as I have spoken with people that prefer the socks.

Maybe we can get the suit out for a test drive March 12th?

I'm still trying to figure out the neck seal issue. Took it to the pool a couple weeks ago and rolled the neck inward. As soon as I moved my head, water poured in the back. Taking it out this weekend in the quarry. Hopefully my Apollo Bio Seal shows up. Pretty much the last thing I can think of with this suit.

I'm still trying to figure out the neck seal issue. Took it to the pool a couple weeks ago and rolled the neck inward. As soon as I moved my head, water poured in the back. Taking it out this weekend in the quarry. Hopefully my Apollo Bio Seal shows up. Pretty much the last thing I can think of with this suit.

You can always switch it to latex if it doesn't work out for you :wink:

I'm too stubborn. There has to be a way to make it work.

I'm too stubborn. There has to be a way to make it work.

Gotta love the honesty :rofl3:. My dive buddy is helimvee and I believe he has the same issue as you (he will have to confirm that himself though) with leakage when he tilts his head forward. Are you guys unique or is this a common problem with neoprene seals?

I think I have the problem fixed. Not sure how big of a neck you have to have for that neoprene seal to work, but it looks like 17.5" is not enough. I ordered an Apollo Bio Seal neck seal and tried it in the pool tonight. Was a little wet at the end - probably a lot of sweat, though there were a couple of times that I felt water come in. My socks were dry - a little sweaty - at the end of the two hours I spent in the pool, which is a good sign. The ultimate test will be in the quarry this weekend.

I got a Pinnacle Black Ice 9 months ago, and have about 100 dives on it. I love it! The neoprene seal is warm and comfy, and no leaks until last week, when I had a bit of a leak, then noticed there was a rip in the neck seal, and had to send it in for replacement.

So this past week, I had to go back to my old fusion... I hate the fusion! I have to wear a lot more undergarment, therefore more weight, and still get cold! The Black Ice is much warmer, even using an MK-2 instead of an MK-3. and by using a lighter Mk-2 undergarment, it means less lead to carry and better mobility. (I fell like a Michelin man in the fusion with the MK-3 undergarment. I also find buoyancy is much easier to control on the Black Ice compared with the fusion.

I don't mind the neoprene socks. I wear rock boots over them. It is an extra step, but some people with built-in boots complain of poor fit or floaty feet.

Neoprene neck seals are very sensitive to the presence of a hood. When I dive my suit in St Laurence w/o the hood it leaks easy, once I look down. With a hood over the seal nomatter how I turn my head nothing happens as the hood holds it in place. If you have a hood which neck is not tight or you dive with no hood latex is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom