Best way to dive the Flower Gardens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Any pointers on how far in advance we should book with either the Fling or Spree?

So what medicine is best for sea sickness and will it make you sleepy? Any other side effects? Otherwise, why not take it just in case?

Dramamine puts me right to sleep. Not so good when you're the Captain. Bonine makes me drowsy. See above. Transderm-scop works best, and I'z wide awake, at least as a result of the drugs. It's a skin patch, so be very careful applying it. Wash thoroughly afterwards. I've seen pupils blown as a result of getting it in your eyes. Not too much fun, although it's not permanent or dangerous.

For most people, what Frank said about the patch is right on. However, be aware that there is a small percentage of the population for whom the patch does NOTHING. I happen to be in that small group. I was almost all the way to FG East and tossing my cookies (often and painfully...dry heaves hurt) before I ripped off the scop patch and started popping Dramamine. Three hours later I was having a muffin and juice before the first dive. I also seem to be one of the few that Dramamine does not make drowsy. Bottom line...even if you do use the patch, you might want to have a tube of Dramamine handy just in case.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Any pointers on how far in advance we should book with either the Fling or Spree?

ck the websites for openings....sometimes the have last minute spots....also the Spree is seasonal out of Texas for the flower gardens Aug-Sept..... The Fling is Feb- Oct....I think I have the months correct......Frank??

Dramamine puts me right to sleep. Not so good when you're the Captain. Bonine makes me drowsy. See above. Transderm-scop works best, and I'z wide awake, at least as a result of the drugs. It's a skin patch, so be very careful applying it. Wash thoroughly afterwards. I've seen pupils blown as a result of getting it in your eyes. Not too much fun, although it's not permanent or dangerous.

So what's a "blown pupil"? Sounds scary, or funny or maybe both. I'm planning on catching the FG towards the end of the summer. Is there any advantage to signing up at one of the local dive shops? Prices look the same either way.

So what medicine is best for sea sickness and will it make you sleepy? Any other side effects? Otherwise, why not take it just in case?

LaCuda used to have terrible probllems with nausia.....then she discovered meclazine a few years back....it was only available by script then. Not so now. It's OTC. Non drowsey. It was invented, and is still widely used for treating nausia in cancer patients. So.....now you can go to the pharmacy and buy it direct from the pharmacist in quantities of 100. The recommended dosage is 25mg, either chewables or regular. Now she rocks with the best of them! P.S. WOOKIE, my friend, you should give them a try. Cheap too!

A group of 5 or 6 of us are looking to dive the Flower Gardens this summer. What is the best way go about that? I did some research on the board on saw the Fling came up a lot. Is this the generally preferred charter for diving the Flower Gardens? Does it matter which dive shop we book the trip through?

I'm a little concerned about sea sickness on this trip. I've done a few boat dives, and I've been on a cruise, all without too much trouble, but I've never been a vessel the size of the Fling over the span of days. Any advice there?

Sorry if I hijacked concerning the meds...they really work. I am team leading groups on the Fling in June and again over the 4th of July long weekend. Sea Sports Scuba, Houston is booking those trips.

So what's a "blown pupil"? Sounds scary, or funny or maybe both. I'm planning on catching the FG towards the end of the summer. Is there any advantage to signing up at one of the local dive shops? Prices look the same either way.

I believe that he means the dialation of the pupil that can occur when you don't wash your hands after handling the patch. You touch your eye and you can't focus for about 6 hours. Been there....done that....

ck the websites for openings....sometimes the have last minute spots....also the Spree is seasonal out of Texas for the flower gardens Aug-Sept..... The Fling is Feb- Oct....I think I have the months correct......Frank??
Correct. Reading the FLing's trip reports, they've had some killer shark action this spring...
I've seen divers with a pupil dilated almost as big as the iris for the full length of a 5 day trip, even after removing the patch. It causes vision and focusing problems. Makes you nauseous. Not good.
LaCuda used to have terrible probllems with nausia.....then she discovered meclazine a few years back....it was only available by script then. Not so now. It's OTC. Non drowsey. It was invented, and is still widely used for treating nausia in cancer patients. So.....now you can go to the pharmacy and buy it direct from the pharmacist in quantities of 100. The recommended dosage is 25mg, either chewables or regular. Now she rocks with the best of them! P.S. WOOKIE, my friend, you should give them a try. Cheap too!
Bonine is the brand name for Meclazine. You are correct, the 100 count 25mg pills are available behind the counter. Most folks won't use 100 tabs in their lifetimes.
I believe that he means the dialation of the pupil that can occur when you don't wash your hands after handling the patch. You touch your eye and you can't focus for about 6 hours. Been there....done that....
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom