HMAS Adelaide Being Sunk 27th March On Central Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Friday's Express Advocate, no copyright intended.

Attachments

• img061.jpg
    img061.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 78
  • img056.jpg
    img056.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 72
  • img057.jpg
    img057.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 67
  • img058.jpg
    img058.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 73
  • img059.jpg
    img059.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 65
  • img060.jpg
    img060.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 83
OMG.. they are going to continue to collect funds and send a diver down to collect paint scrapings for testing.... maybe my joke about them applying to have it refloated isn't so far off:doh:

From ABC.net.au No copyright intended.

First divers assess ex-HMAS Adelaide - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

First divers assess ex-HMAS Adelaide

The first civilian diver on ex-HMAS Adelaide off the New South Wales Central Coast, says yesterday's scuttling at Avoca Beach couldn't have been better planned.

The former warship is now sitting 30 metres beneath the surface to become an artificial dive reef.

Robb Westerdyk, one of several divers who has been assessing the ship in its new home, says it is perfectly placed.

"We did a survey on that this morning and you could see where the bow hit the sand and then settled down nicely so it was exactly the way it was supposed to go," he said.

"She went down evenly, she didn't rock down from side to side. It was actually a perfect sinking."

Tens of thousands of spectators flocked to Avoca and North Avoca Beaches to watch the long-awaited scuttling of the former warship.

The event was delayed for more than an hour by a large pod of bottle-nosed dolphins, which were feeding within the ship's exclusion zone.

Once the area was cleared, it took less than a minute for the frigate to disappear beneath the waves

OMG.. they are going to continue to collect funds and send a diver down to collect paint scrapings for testing....

Apart from being damp, how would these differ from paint scrapings taken before the scuttling?

Everyone's got a right to make a living I guess, but any self respecting diver offered this job should tell them to go **** themselves IMO

I would also think that they would very much frown on anyone caught diving her before any all clear is given.

also, just what are the laws regarding removing "something" from an artificial reef/ship ? :wink:

Apart from being damp, how would these differ from paint scrapings taken before the scuttling?

Everyone's got a right to make a living I guess, but any self respecting diver offered this job should tell them to go **** themselves IMO

Ummm.. my guess would be no unbiased, official witness to certify they are taken from the Adelaide:idk:

One would certainly hope so but there are even divers who are more interested in $'s than other things.:shocked2:

I would also think that they would very much frown on anyone caught diving her before any all clear is given.

also, just what are the laws regarding removing "something" from an artificial reef/ship ? :wink:

Not sure that is an interesting question.... I know there are laws about removing artifacts from historic shipwrecks....:crafty:

as far as I'm lead to believe the primer for the hull hasn't been tested for lead due to the data indicating that there was non lead paint used. this is disputed by NSAG due to a sister ship (Canadian i believe) containing lead primer on the hull.

additionally to the above, their basis for the dispute is that lead primper inside the ship which has been ordered to be removed [exfoliating paint only] was also reported to not contain lead, although one would suggest that there is no relationship to the two areas due to the appeals decision not ordering the testing of the hull.

I'm very much in favour for the ship to be sunk, but as an engineer and someone who is intently interested in ensuring marine environments are only improved on their current situation i would like to be fully convinced that proper process has been followed. I was surprised a full EIS wasn't required to be honest.

on a more positive note, a mate who's a commerical diver is most likely this very minute diving her, and being paid. bastardo! I'll report back if he has anything interesting to say.

[n.b. quoting of the above shall only be taken in context, and on this site.] i know this seems strange, but it's happend before where less than credible jurnos use forum posts in articles.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom