Is a normal to have a buddy on a divemaster-led dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't remember ever diving with an operation that did not require a buddy even on a guided group dive.

Every dive op I've been with has required a buddy even when the group is diving together. When I've gone on trips through my LDS at times we've been like one big buddy group, everybody checking each others air etc, but we still stick to our pairs. One time we had an OOA situation. We all saw the diver signal and everyone grabbed their octo. His buddy though was right there gave him his octo and they went up.

As a dive guide, SOP is to determine & assign dive buddies to his/her abilities or request. These two buddies set their kit up together,sit next to or across for each other,physically do a "buddy check",enter the water together,stay together during the dive,S/S together,surface together,help each other get into the boat,and then discuss the dive. My detailed dive brief include these instructions & I personally ask & get answered before I proceed with my dive profile. Trained buddy diving is one of the many rules of safety when diving in a group.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Trusting a DM to keep you safe when they are leading a herd is far more dangerous than diving alone. People get complacent and think the DM is going to keep them safe. Personally I would not trust a guide for anything other than to tell me what heading I need to tale to see things. I don't need or want them for anything else. Show me what way to go - I know how to get back. Do not let guides plan your dives. They usually do not know you, your training level, your air consumption, or your comfort level. I'd rather not even have them in the water.

As a dive guide,not trusting the professionally trained, most experienced, DAN DEMP/PADI EFR trained,most knowledgable on currents,depths,weather,emergency rescue plan,multi level dive plan expert, ETC....
I guess that IS your decision & opinion. So you do not listening to the dive brief, you plan your own dive, you do what ever you want,AND you know everything about everything? IMPO, I fear that advice to any new/old recreational diver. I understand certified divers are responsible for themselves but they should follow the dive guide's instructions for a safe & fun dive. I have been trusted for several dives & many years.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

No personal experience since I've never been on a follow the divemaster type dive but most agencies advocate the buddy system at all times so I would think it applies to these dives as well.

So far we have had to buddy up on every dive. All dives have been led by a dm or instructor. On the charters, the dm made sure everyone had a buddy and if not they were assigned one.

I did not say that at all. I said tell me where stuff is. That means give me a good briefing and then leave me and my buddy alone to plan our dive and then follow that plan. If the briefing is good I don't need you in the water. If it sucks you will hear me ask lots of questions. "Dive guide" - It has no meaning in any agency I am familiar with. It does not conjure visions of a professional in my mind. In fact it says to me to listen to what they say about where something is and take care to plan a good dive on your own.

How do you know that the people on the boat are not far more qualified and able to take better care of themselves than you can? Emergency rescue plan expert? Mulitlevel dive plan expert? What are those. Never heard of those ratings. And are you indeed the most knowledgeable in all those areas? IS that part of the dive guide rating? The line below does not impress me at all. I have little to no respect for someone continuously throwing that they are a "dive guide" in my face. I don't even know what a dive guide is.

"As a dive guide,not trusting the professionally trained, most experienced, DAN DEMP/PADI EFR trained,most knowledgable on currents,depths,weather,emergency rescue plan,multi level dive plan expert,"

Of the faults I have seen among resort DM "tour guides", failing to ask divers to "buddy up" has not been one of them.
Losing divers from their group, taking new OW divers too deep or/and into overhead environments, using a different DM for two consecutive dives so the op can have shorter SI's without risking the DM's health, those I have seen numerous times, but even DM's who were quite lacking in other areas asked for divers to buddy, even if the more slipshod never followed up to make sure divers did so during the dive.

How do you know that the people on the boat are not far more qualified and able to take better care of themselves than you can? Emergency rescue plan expert? Mulitlevel dive plan expert? What are those. Never heard of those ratings. And are you indeed the most knowledgeable in all those areas? IS that part of the dive guide rating? The line below does not impress me at all. I have little to no respect for someone continuously throwing that they are a "dive guide" in my face. I don't even know what a dive guide is.
Jim --I'm not atacking you but I must question your logic.
If you aren't familiar with the dive site isn't it always best to make use of local knowledge on the first dive of the day? Ie follow a local guide?

Again I'm not out to try to trip you up here I'm just trying to understand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom