Scuba geocache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEMA seems to be spending a fair amount of energy (and probably money) promoting divecaching, but I think they overlooked a critical component and mudchick hit the nail on the head:

I'm told there are some spots available at geocaching.com but couldn't find anything pertinent unless I bought the upgraded membership and I didn't want to do that unless there was some interest or some helpful info for the area. I've done some land caching and it's fun. Looking for stuff underwater has to be a great challenge.

I'm a cacher too and was initially excited about the program until someone asked me how they could easily locate listings for divecaches in the area. It turns out the only way to do it (and it's still imperfect even then) is to spend $30/year on a premium geocaching.com membership so you can search on cache "attributes".

Basically DEMA's and Groundspeak (owners of geochaching.com) are saying "Hey, you're a diver. Here's a fun activity that you might try at the same time, but you've gotta give us $30 before you can even start to try it." Unless they can find a easy and free way for divers without geocaching experience to search for divecaches, I think they're going to have a very hard time getting the momentum they're hoping for.

That's good info, Sushi . . .

Just a thought, from a non-cacher and non-scuba cacher . . . What about putting the scuba-cache on the lake's / park's website? I'm thinking they would do it for free, and the info is there for free . . .

Is there some standard way to write up a cache? (I am not willing to spend $30 to find out.)

Why not start a divecache list here on scubaboard? Where else can you reach as many divers?

Reactions: Jax
thank you for taking the time to check out the web site and just to let everyone know I am redoing the site so it will have a lot more options and will look a lot better. When the new one is up I will be giving out tons of free one month memberships so everyone can try it out.

Ummm . . . if you know Joel, would you please let him know his treasurehunts site comes up as "phishing"?

if people are wanting to hide something and are located in a state that I am not in send me a message and I would be happy to add it to my site with NO charge to you. I am always open to new things when it comes to making diving safe fun and keeping the water clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom