Liveaboard Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryuujo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was thinking of going diving in Hawaii in December and was wondering about liveaboards in Hawaii.

Is there any? If so which do you recommend?

If not liveaboard, which island while offer the best diving?

Kona Aggressor is the only one I'm aware of.

Just did the Kona Aggressor. Best trip ever. Pm me if you need details. Would highly recommend.

I think that the above posters are correct in that the Kona Aggressor is the only liveaboard in the Hawaiian Islands.
It is located on the west side of Kona (the big island)

There will probably never be a multi- island liveaboard in Hawaii because the currents between islands are wicked and the ocean is extremely rough.
A recipe for a vomit comet. In case you have never noticed there are no inter-island ferries.

Kona Aggressor is the only liveaboard I've seen, too.

As far as land-based diving, I've been to the four main islands (Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Big Island), and preferred the diving off the Big Island. I thought the water was clearer, the coral better, and the marine life more abundant (although the trips were several years apart, so someone else's experience could differ). There's some very easy shore diving, which keeps costs down. Also, the manta night dive is an absolute must-do. One of the coolest dives I've ever done.

James

If not liveaboard, which island while offer the best diving?

I think that the above posters are correct in that the Kona Aggressor is the only liveaboard in the Hawaiian Islands.
It is located on the west side of Kona (the big island)

There will probably never be a multi- island liveaboard in Hawaii because the currents between islands are wicked and the ocean is extremely rough.
A recipe for a vomit comet. In case you have never noticed there are no inter-island ferries.
There's a long history of inter-island ferries:

Hawaii Superferry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A liveaboard could cover Maui (including Molokini), Lanai, and Molokai without much trouble since day ops from Maui already do Lanai and Molokai.

I had a great time on the Kona Agressor with the exception of one thing. I'm not really into seafood and they served that for every dinner except the Thursday turkey dinner. They catch the fish themselves while moving to new locations so it is real fresh. I was on for two weeks so I requested a menu change for the next week and I was sans the seafood. I did it about 10 years ago so YMMV.

Sadly the Kona Aggressor II just lost one of the best divemaster/photographers/captains I've ever had the experince of knowing/diving with. If you've dove with Brandi Mueller during her time with the Aggressor or her years with Dive Oahu you know what I mean. Sometimes a company lets one slip away that you never quite replace. Gotta feeling this is one of those. Anyone in Hawaii would be lucky to have her on their staff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom