Fins: OMS Slipstream vs. Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for those with foot pocket stiffness problems in the oms slipstreams, i had the same problem till i got a boiling bucket of water and dipped the foot pockets in for about a minute, then i stretched and twisted the foot pocket, do this a couple of times and no more foot problems..didnt stretch them out at all just made the foot pocket very plyable and soft.....i can wear them for a couple 45 min dives now no prob:D

Scubapro introduced the "New XXL" Jet last year and it nicely fills the gap between the XL and the old XXL, which is now the XXXL, (and I agree, you could fit a cantaloupe in the foot pocket)...
I purchased a set of the "new" XXL jets to use with my DS. I had a problem with the foot pocket on them though; it split right down the pocket at the seam. I was going to try the F1s, but SP is replacing the Jets. I sent them back as they wanted them to check out for molding process issues?? :idk: I use the Slipstreams when diving wet and I love them. I haven't experienced the problems others mention with the foot pockets; must be my brick shaped feet. :D

i currently have Slipstreams but was thinking of switching to Jets. I'd be interested in real users of each fin's opinions on them (and i would like to limit the discussion to these 2 fins, please)

If it ain't broken, don't fix it! :wink:

Personally, I find Slipstreams too stiff. When I use them, my feet cramp really badly. Performance wise, they are almost indistinguishable from Jets.

After this weekends GUE Primary course i am switching to Jets from the slipstreams as soon as i can source a set. I currently have a tendancy to allow my fin tips to rise up vertically, the jets are easier for me to control in trim. I'll keep the slip streams for travel and continue to work on my trim position with them in the pool.

Most people allow their fin tips to rise - I suspect that anyone here who has done Fundies will admit to having had that problem at least once.

Whilst Jets might make it less noticeable because of their weight, you might want to consider the alternative of sticking with your fins and becoming more aware of what your fins/feet are doing. The whole "fins up" thing comes from a flexion of the ankle, not a characteristic of the fin. Switching to Jets might be an answer, but you may also find that learning to control the flexion of the ankle first and then switching to Jets later has it's advantages. Once you take the video camera away, you want to be able to feel what your ankle and fins are up to.

interesting comments

i actually have not switched to the jet's yet so i can learn more control of my fin tips - the slipstreams have become a "training" device b/c the now known tendancy of them to float tips up on me.

I do not want to solve the training problem with equipment in other words.

I do find the jet's have a more comfortable foot pocket for my wet boots. the slipstreams will become my travel fins

I use both also and slightly prefer the Jets. When baggage weight is a problem of course I bring the Slips. They are very close kick-wise but I prefer the Jets for forward kicks while I get a slightly more powerful back-kick from the Slips since they are stiffer. In any case I'm talking pretty small differences here and in the water I pretty much forget which ones I have on, it's mostly only noticeable when alternating between the two or putting one on each foot. For what it's worth, keeping my head back and a slight arch in my back has a lot more to do with staying horizontal than which fin I'm using, but I normally dive with zero exposure protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom