GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fantastic work sir, I will nominate this video for the Academy Award for "best GoPro focus Fix Test Video" :wink:
(Although I might have put a test pattern board in the scene)

I think you make a good point that "your mileage will vary" since the tolerances seems to vary a good amount with these cameras and housings.

Thanks for the nomination lol, when I mean it will vary it will still be dependent on the fix used as the oculus and mako will always vignette in all modes other then r5 just the camera housing combination will determine how centred to the frame this will end up.

The EOM and blurfix will be vignette free in all modes other then r4 and photo from my testing and not just from this video but all my previous dives with the EOM and more recently blurfix. The EOM has just a slight bit more vignetting then the blurfix in these modes but its not too big a deal IMHO as its barely noticable.

The biggest difference I see is the glass lens and screw in filter design of the blurfix which really makes it stand out against the EOM which is its closest competition. Having an option for filters along with the optical clarity of glass over the plastic used in the EOM is a big plus in my eyes and my testing with the ur pro filter has given better results then I thought id get, will be taking it to deeper depths in the next few weeks in tropical waters so it may provide some cool looking footage.

Hi All,

Prior to my Palau trip this year I read this forum a lot and bought a GoPro along with the color correction filter from pursuit fishing (Color Correction Filter For Flat Lens - Pursuit Diving)... I have to say I love the gopro, it's an awesome piece of kit and for 300 bucks!!! However it really needs a gopro made housing for underwater with color correction filter. The filter I bought was not very good and also it scratched the flat lens when I tried to take the red film out. Anyway I'll leave the links to my video here (it's an hour long sorry!). You guys be the judge... you'll notice for most of it the filter isn't used but the parts that are and close to the surface the color is amazing...

‪tonycrouchingtiger's Channel‬‏ - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1rm3cq96zk&feature=share

Hey Tony, at least in the USA, the first 4 of your vids can't be viewed due to copywrited material in the vids. The beginning of Palau2011 5, did you use a filter there (sharks/rays)?

I know this isn't scuba, but I thought I'd share it anyways, since it's the GoPro Flat lens fix topic1
[video=youtube;H5XTE7kGlfM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XTE7kGlfM[/video]

Thanks Blurryfix! I just ordered a zeikos CP filter on Friday prior to your post. I'm glad I did! It's going to come in handy on Kauai!

We will be testing Tiffens low profile CP filter that may not vignett in R1-R3 we have one on order, I'll get back to you with an update. They cost around $115.00 and should be of higher quality. We were impressed with the Zeikos in our first test, but need to find an ultra low profile like the Tiffen. When you do a search for a low pro filter, try strings like wide angle, slim, super slim, and ultra low profile along with the type of filters you want. Keep in mind that this is only recommended for topside use, and I caution the use of any other filters underwater, for UW use please see those that are listed as tested in our instructions (posted on our site, on the last page)
I'll post a few links to the low pro polarizing filter I have found. I can't recommend any until we test them.
Amazon.com: Marumi DHG Circular Polarizer CPL PL (D) 55 55mm Filter Japan: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Hoya 55mm DMC PRO1 Digital Multi-Coated CIR-PL Filter. [Camera]: Camera & Photo

Wow, I'm sold. Going to order the snakeriver blurry Fix this week. They should pay you a commission, best comparison I have seen!
Bushi

Hey guys Ive made a little test video with a standard gopro, oculus r5 (pretty much the same as the mako and other 1080 fixes) eye of mine and a blurfix with and without the UR pro cy filter. Each mode is tested at the same location on the same say for a pretty fair representation of each housing. You will notice the r4 vignetting is a little different to my previouse comparison video as that was using a different gopro camera, each seems to sit slightly differently in the housing so overall amount of screen effected should stay the same but the amount each corner will vary with each camera and housing combination.

[video=youtube;WlCvDaDrUss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlCvDaDrUss[/video]

I posted it in its own thread but seeing this ones pretty popular and its on topic I will post it here also. All video is untouched except the red filter shots where given an auto white balance using eye dropper in colorista plugin as it was a little too red for the depth of only 5m 15ft. I think the filter and white balance give great results when combined and using the same technique on non filtered video doesn't give anywhere near as good results as their is just not enough detail in the red channel for the software to work with. I have found its a lot easier to reduce the red tint from filtered footage then it is to try and amplify the red when filmed with a clear lens.

Here's a couple of videos I took the same day with the blurfix and urpro cyan filter with the same auto white balance

[video=youtube;zoSc_kMYnG0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoSc_kMYnG0[/video]

[video=youtube;J6bD_v5F-nE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bD_v5F-nE[/video]

We are doing a Prize give-away to the Owner of the Video with the most "likes" on our Facebook wall. See the rules and regulations here;
http://snakeriverprototyping.com/Videos.html
Check out our customer videos and vote for your favorite here:
Snake River Prototyping - Wall | Facebook

(1) 1st place - GoPro HD Hero with BlurFix and choice of (1) 55mm URPro filter.
(1) 2nd place - Choice of (2) 55mm URPro filters.
(1) 3rd place - Choice of (1) 55mm URPro filter.

Sometimes you feel really stupid, like when I went on two dive trips with the GoPro without finding out what caused the blur problems. No fun having tons of giant manta footage from Socorro, and it's all blurry. I must say, though, that I ran into plenty of other GoPro users who also didn't know of the problem. Finally ran into a guy who had the fix, then Googled it all. Ended up with the EyeOfMine housing, which works great for me.

I feel especially stupid because I was deep into writing a full review of the GoPro phenomenon before I finally figured things out (if interested, it's here: GoPro Hero -- The GoPro phenomenon: what the world-beating little 1080p vidcam can (and cannot) do).

The video below is GoPro with EyeOfMine housing at Coronado islands (sea lions!) and diving (in very low viz) the wreck of the HMCS Yukon.

[video=youtube;cfvbkMRE46s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfvbkMRE46s[/video]

BHB Dive 10-16-2011.wmv - YouTube

Here is a video I took on sunday with overcast conditions, using the go pro HD with MAKO flat lens. I only have movie maker, so I can't adjust or improve the video quality (as far as i know, anyway)

Back
Top Bottom