Shopping for Dive Gear on Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnboywalton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here is a question that isn't covered in the FAQ:

I'm headed for Cozumel on Monday morning, so I got up early this morning and started inspecting, cleaning and refurbing my gear for the trip. While doing this, I managed to rip off the electrical contact (the prong) for my dive computer - oooops! :depressed: The warranty has expired, so replacing it is a more economical option than fixing it. However, my local dive shop is closed today, so I can't shop for a replacement before leaving. So, I can either rent a computer in Cozumel, or I can buy a replacement there. Since I need to buy a replacement anyway, I need to do the latter.

I know just about every dive center on the island will be selling some gear, but obviously not every dive center will have a good selection of gear. If I were looking for a place to specifically go shopping for a dive computer on Cozumel, where should I go?

Thanks!

From what I have seen of dive gear selection in Cozumel your going to be fairly limited in selection and would be buying something based on availability and price. My advice would be to if possible borrow one from a dive buddy (before you leave) or to simply rent. This way you can get what you want that fufills your needs when you return.
Just as a personal side note you may also want to consider purchasing a backup computer or something as simple as a bottom timer I always travel with and use 2 computers at all times that way if 1 ever goes south you have a backup.

Thanks - if there isn't a store around with good selection, I'll wind up renting and then getting a replacement over the winter.

[video=youtube;cp7_u0kcQRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cp7_u0kcQRo[/video]

Dive with Aldora Divers. They will loan you a computer for free. Then buy one at a much better price after you return home. Maybe even buy a backup...

I might go so far as to suggest that the day before departure is probably not the best time to start "inspecting, cleaning and refurbing [your] gear for the trip" since, as you've just demonstrated, it's too late to actually fix any problems your inspection reveals...

28 days till we leave for Cozumel...

Dive with Aldora Divers. They will loan you a computer for free. Then buy one at a much better price after you return home. Maybe even buy a backup...

I might go so far as to suggest that the day before departure is probably not the best time to start "inspecting, cleaning and refurbing [your] gear for the trip" since, as you've just demonstrated, it's too late to actually fix any problems your inspection reveals...

Dirty Dog......I'll bet he knows that now!!! I've been in his situation before, but after a similar issue, I now do it sometime the week before......

Your advice is noted, but not really taken. If I weren't checking my gear out before I left (and after my arrival, for that matter) I wouldn't be safe, would I? Inspection and maintenance should be frequent and thorough in my book.

**** happens. My accident is the sort of thing that could have happened with any battery swap or o-ring greasing, as in fact was the case. It's a reflection of how well-used the computer is, if anything, and not my timetable.

But thanks for the dive shop recommendation in any case.

Dive with Aldora Divers. They will loan you a computer for free.

I could have sworn before I had a computer Aldora charged me for use of one. I could be wrong of course, or maybe they don't anymore, but I thought it was something like $10 a day.

I could have sworn before I had a computer Aldora charged me for use of one. I could be wrong of course, or maybe they don't anymore, but I thought it was something like $10 a day.

Don't know how long this has been policy, but this is from Aldora Divers of Cozumel

"First we use high pressure steel tanks of 80, 100, and 120 cf capacities. That allows us to put 40% more air on the heavy breathers and smaller more comfortable tanks on the light ones. An added benefit of the steel tanks is that they are never positively buoyant like the aluminum 80s and most divers can immediately take 4 lbs off the weight belt. Computer guided multilevel diving is a well proven and safe way to enjoy long dives, even to considerable depth. At Aldora Divers we require the use of computers and if the diver doesn't have one we provide it free of charge as well as above and below the water instruction in its proper use."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom