Dive sites by Baltimore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mastakebob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Merry xmas everyone!

So, I just moved to Baltimore. What are my diving options?

A quick search seems to show that my options are NJ wrecks, or quarries in WV/VA that are 3+ hours away.

Are there any sites closer?

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Chesapeake has some great boating, but it is shallow and murky. Once it starts to really warm up, it becomes infested with sea nettles (stinging jellyfish). I sailed there for many years, but I am not interested in diving there.

The Jersey Shore is fairly advanced diving, deep and often cold. Many operators require advanced certification. The sites require long boat rides adding to the cost compared with other areas.

My local quarry diving is at Dutch Springs, three hours from you. It is a very nice dive park, but not the ocean.

For a weekend trip, there is some great diving off the NC coast. During the summer when the Gulf Stream swings west the temp and vis are very nice.
[/FONT]

Lots of inland options -
Guppy Gulch is the closest quarry... about 45 minutes north of Baltimore
Bainbridge Quarry is about 1.5 hours north of Baltimore
Millbrook Quarry is about 1.5 hours south of baltimore
There are other quarries farther away...
New Jersey is a 1.5 - 2 hour drive north for off shore diving
Ocean City MD and Fenwick Island DE offer decent diving about 2.5 - 3 hour drive away

There are two great places to dive about 7 hour drives from Baltimore - South to NC and North to Upstate NY.

Welcome to Baltimore

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the info.
I got certed in NJ and split my check outs between Dutch Springs and Shark River Inlet, so I'm sort of familiar with those options. Never got around to diving the offshore NJ/NY wrecks, though. Ocean City seems like a good option. Guess I'm gonna have to pick up some deco training...

Hey just want to put my two cents in there is also hydes quarry located in westminster which is about a half hour 45 min away from bmore depending on where you are

Back
Top Bottom