Fishers Island Sound wreck still maritime mystery.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munromh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Fishers Island Sound wreck still maritime mystery

By Joe Wojtas Publication: The Day
Published 01/10/2012 12:00 AM

mirror.jpg
Photo courtesy of Becky Gladych
A pewter mirror is shown at the site of a shipwreck in Fishers Island Sound. Divers are trying to determine the identity of the 70-foot vessel.

Divers think ship could be victim of 1938 Hurricane

In the summer of 2007, Mark Munro of Griswold and a group of fellow wreck divers discovered a 70-foot intact shipwreck in Fishers Island Sound. While its wooden timbers had rotted, they found a diesel engine, ship's wheel and two bells and personal items such as a pocket watch, pewter mirror and tea cups. Despite five years of historical research and reaching out to local historical groups and experts, the identity of the ship is still a mystery to Munro, who believes it sank in the Hurricane of 1938. He is now asking the public for help, thinking someone may have heard about the wreck or knows something about the ship, which is thought to have been involved in the menhaden fishery or been converted to a yacht. "We've had a lot of leads, but none of them have panned out," he said Monday. "It's interesting because it's right in the middle of Fishers Island Sound where there's always been lot of traffic, but no one knows about it." He said the wreck, which is in the deepest part of the sound at 75 feet, had a forward bridge with a searchlight, an open section in the middle which led to the fish hold and a rear structure that housed the crew quarters. That's where artifacts such as plates, cups and a watch were found, as well as portholes.

Munro's road to discovering the wreck began in 2005 when he began scouring a 1995 government sonar survey of Long Island Sound for possible wreck sites. Then in 2007, using his own high-resolution side scan sonar system, he and his fellow explorers from locally based Baccala Wreck Divers found three wrecks in Fishers Island Sound and dove on them. One was a part of a barge, the second a scuttled 40-foot houseboat. Neither interested the wreck hunters. The third target, which was covered in silt, is the wreck Munro is now trying to identify. Because it was the third and most interesting one the group explored, the divers now refer to it as "Three's a Charm."

Munro has so far been unable to track the equipment and artifacts on the wreck back to a specific boat, in some cases because the manufacturers are no longer in business. The diesel batteries have provided one clue, having been made prior to 1936. That's why Munro believes the ship may have been claimed by the 1938 Hurricane. While it seems unusual there are no records of the ship's demise, Munro said it may have just been transiting the area. In addition, thousands of ships were lost in the hurricane. "We're just trying to find out where it came from and how it got to this place," he said. "We hope someone might have some local knowledge about it." Munro said he and his fellow divers don't just like to find and explore new wrecks each summer, they also enjoy solving the mysteries behind what they find and researching their history.

In 2009, they found the 249-foot-long wooden coasting schooner Jennie R. Dubois, which was built in West Mystic and was the largest coasting schooner built outside of Maine. They discovered the ship, which sank in 1903, 6 miles southeast of Block Island in 100 feet of water.

Last summer, he said his group found nine new wrecks between Watch Hill and Point Judith, R.I., most of which were old coal barges. He said they also continue to search for the remains of U-550, a World War II German U-boat sunk off Nantucket.

More information about Munro and his group can be found at www.soundunderwatersurvey.com.
j.wojtas@theday.com

This is a fly-over video of a shipwreck we found in Fishers Island Sound, we call her "Three's a Charm". The video starts at the rudder then moves to the propshaft, gear box, engine, engine flywheel, planking on the wreck by the Keelson, the keelson, ships wheel on top of the windlass, the windlass, ending with the windlass and ships wheel.

Sorry no audio added:
[video=youtube_share;vYTz5npoZu8]http://youtu.be/vYTz5npoZu8[/video]

Hey Thanks for sharing those. Its really interesting when a new wreck is discovered in our waters. Stuff like this is what makes diving in New England all the more special IMO. Excellent work!!!

I would think the clues to the ship's identity would be found in A) printing on the ship's bell B) engine identity and make. Have you mapped the site yet?

I would think the clues to the ship's identity would be found in A) printing on the ship's bell B) engine identity and make. Have you mapped the site yet?

Unfortunately there was no inscription on either bell and no tag was found on the engine. I contacted an expert at the Seaport and enlisted the help of an online "Old Marine Engine" forum to help identify it but no one has been able to identify the engine manufacture:

Old Marine Engine: Unidentified 4 cylinder engine on shipwreck

Other then the side scan survey we have not mapped the site:

Three's a Charm-LR.jpg

Thanks to the newspaper article we received information that's helped us identified the wreck. We have a newspaper article about a wreck that occurred right in the area where we found this wreck and all the information in the article corroborates what we found at the wreck site. There will be a follow up article releasing that information but right now I'm trying to find a hard piece of evidence that ties the wreck to the one in the newspaper article.

I thought I saw quoted somewhere that over 200 wrecks where involved with the Watch Hill Reefs. I can see where a positive ID would be essential. You never know what parts of a wreck get uncovered year after year or day by day; and one of these days, just the right part gets uncovered from a storm. I see this a lot on the Tug Boat Hercules off Westerly Town Beach.

I thought I saw quoted somewhere that over 200 wrecks where involved with the Watch Hill Reefs. I can see where a positive ID would be essential. You never know what parts of a wreck get uncovered year after year or day by day; and one of these days, just the right part gets uncovered from a storm.

Yes, a positive ID would be preferred. This wreck is a little different in that it sank in an area without a high concentration of shipwrecks (like on a reef), there are just a few wrecks in the area, and when compared to Watch Hill Reef it's not a very dynamic marine environment so it was relatively undisturbed.

There's a large pile of oyster shells many feet deep and 50' off the wreck, I was not certain if the shells were associated with the wreck or not. I've spent a great deal of time doing drift dives in Fishers Island Sound and I've never seen oyster shells concentrated in an area like this, but I couldn't be sure if the shells were part of the wreck or not. The newspaper article I mentioned earlier is about a 63' vessel that sank in the immediate area of our wreck and was carrying $2000 worth of oysters. Subsequent research shows that the vessel was previously a schooner before being outfitted with an engine in 1931/1932 and was 68.9 LOA, our wreck measures 70' in length.

Oyster-Laden vessel.jpg

99% sure this is our wreck, but it would be nice to have one hard piece of evidence that ties them together.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom