Extended Visa options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russ.... be cautious if you use this. It would probably be ok.... BUT....

There was a similar scheme running in Thailand a few years ago. 'Consultant' service that ran your passports over the border for renewal. After a couple of years successful operation, the Police decided to crack-down on it. Of course, the consultant got away with it. The tourists had the passports impounded... upon summons to collect them, they were imprisoned and then deported. Scary...

The difference was that in Thailand, it was a border-run (stamp out, stamp back in).. in the Philippines it is a direct renewal. One thing about the Philippines is that 'routine' practices may actually be technically illegal etc... again, you may get unlucky and get caught in a 'crack-down'. The same is true of a myriad of issues, including safety ones. The short lesson is "don't believe anything you are told in the Philippines, if common sense says otherwise".

As I say... it's PROBABLY ok... and is probably above board... I should be near the Subic immigration office later this week. If I have time, I will go and inquire about the 'consultancy' services for you.

Also... be cautious with your passport... I'd want an awful lot of reassurances before I handed my passport over to someone in anything other than an 'official' capacity. Take photocopies of it. Take scans of it also...and email them to yourself, so you can always print them out. Make sure you have the contact number for the UK Embassy in Manila, just in case. Get some form of official receipt from the hotel and get some assurances when you hand it over... if they lose it, they won't admit it, or take responsibility.

Thanks again for your help & advice and also for your kind offer to check with the immigration office if you get chance. I've got plenty of time until my next visit - it will be Feb 2013, but it's nice to know what if any problems I may encounter.
I've already got scanned copies of my passport & also emailed myself a copy to a web based account so I can access it anytime.

Several peoples had told me that there is a "kind of" immigration office inside the Municipal Hall in Puerto Galera. The best time to go there is Monday morning.
Most high end resorts will arrange your extenton for a charge. My buddies had used it without any issue at the airport.
If you do not trust anyone then do it yourself at Calapan. But do dress up a bit.
As someone had already suggested, enquire it on your first arrival at the airport.
Paying the FINE on your departure should be your last option. Red tape is the last thing you want to sample in this country.

yes that seems to be the story about a Rep from Calapan BID going to PG once an week, seems to be legit. my guess is its some sort of acredited agent which is quite common at BID manila. I think the number of the Calapan and Batangas BID offices are listed. a simple phone call can answer the questions. tey are proficient in English in case thats an issue. AND also agree that paying the fine at departure should be the LAST OPTION

To answer Jbb,
I've been twice now and over extended a visa. First time we inquired about and extension on arrival. The immigration guy just said pay on departure (we didn't know any difference!). On leaving instead of going through the normal Immigration line you go left ask to pay for over stay, pay $70 and move on, way quicker than lining up!! There was no issue at all. Second time knowing this we did it again and even less hassle than the first. Because it is in the Airport it seemed very formal and far less prone to "corruption" :). That said Devon know his way around, and it is possibly a risk. But to me it seemed very small. One stay wast 24 days one 28 so maybe they weren't to stressed because it was short. Comapred to the half day trauma of getting it renewed else where it semed easy. Good luck.

Unless things have changed since September...

As Centrals said, there's an extension office in PG, in the building above the indoor market. Open Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning too. As I remember they always required a photocopy of the relevant pages of your passport, (and ID card if you have one).

Or get one of the tour agencies in Sabang to do it for you, expect to pay a further 500php for the privilege.

Looking at my passport, the initial extension brings your allowed stay up to 59 days from the date you entered the country, then further extensions are 2 calendar months from the date the previous extension expired.

There definitely is not a place to extend your visa in Coron. The services here that offer visa extensions overnight them to an office in Manila.

I lived in Sabang for a year, and never had any problems getting my visa extension in PG at municipal. There is a 500 piso express lane fee, but to be fair the process only took about 30 minutes. There was a small shop around the corner that had a xerox machine with reasonable prices. They will want a copy of the front page of your passport and the page with your arrival stamp, plus all previous extensions if you have any.

To answer Jbb,
I've been twice now and over extended a visa. First time we inquired about and extension on arrival. The immigration guy just said pay on departure (we didn't know any difference!). On leaving instead of going through the normal Immigration line you go left ask to pay for over stay, pay $70 and move on, way quicker than lining up!! There was no issue at all. Second time knowing this we did it again and even less hassle than the first. Because it is in the Airport it seemed very formal and far less prone to "corruption" :). That said Devon know his way around, and it is possibly a risk. But to me it seemed very small. One stay wast 24 days one 28 so maybe they weren't to stressed because it was short. Comapred to the half day trauma of getting it renewed else where it semed easy. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I had the exact same experience as Uberdude. I had also enquired about Visa extension on arrival, and the officials said: "just pay the overstay fee upon departure"! Which I did twice, and it seemed to be no problem.

I have also see corruption, bureaucratic red-tape and extortion over passports and immigration in the Philippines (for the local Filipinos), but in the case of a tourist departing the Philippines from NAII, I have had personally no problems. It certainly did not seem to me that I was breaking any laws when I paid the overstay fee at the airport. It all seemed fairly normal and routine. I don't know if one could even call the overstay fee a penalty, since it is the same or cheaper than arranging an extended visa before departure.

That being said, DevonDiver's point is well taken. Who knows, maybe I was just very lucky. Probably I would make the effort next time to get the extended Visa first prior departure. But I would be interested in hearing from others who overstayed their Visa and what their experience was.

I am a UK citizen and have done the following. Rules may have changed, but I don't think so.

You get a 59 day visa for £22 by filling out the form downloadable from:

The Philippine Embassy in London » » Downloadable Forms

If you have doubts, call the embassy. Read the instructions carefully.

I've done a lot of visa extensions in various offices in the Philippines and have availed of the "express service". The last time I tried it, the "good ol' boys" who had previously been pretty cool were not quite the same and I found myself in a situation. Don't do it.

Re paying the fine for overstaying at the airport, I'd be interested to know when the last time this was done. About 18 months ago, I was considering doing that and found out, just in time, that the rules had changed. People had gone to the airport expecting to be able to do this and had been sent back to extend properly at the office in Manila. Maybe it's gone back to normal and you can do it now. I wouldn't be surprised :).

Have a good time.

theres a new Immigration Commissioner now and things have changed. And new Commissioners are always looking for good press especialy since the supposed battle cry of the new presidnet is "fight Corruption"

Having lived here for 14 years I would strongly recommed DONT TAKE the EASY WAY OUT. DO IT BEFORE YOU ARRIVE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Also I met someone yesterday who swears by the BID office in Batangas, very fast and very efficient

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom