New to Forum and have a Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellmoundal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Cayman on September 16, 2012 and I would like to know what wet suite to carry. I own a 5 mill one piece and a Skin. What do you guys and dals think? I dive in Florida in the Springs at 72 degree water temp in a 5 mill and am very comfortable. I have no idea what the water temp will be in Cayman in September.

Plan on 82-85 degrees. Your skin should be plenty.

It can change based on what dives you are doing as well. :)
We were in Bonaire and Curacao in the past year and every week we started out nekkid (well, just swim suits) but by 15 dives and 3/4 days later...we started putting on 1/2 mil shortie wetsuits and switched to 2/3 long wetsuits for the night dives. Water was 79-82 degrees.

I am going to Cayman on September 16, 2012 and I would like to know what wet suite to carry. I own a 5 mill one piece and a Skin. What do you guys and dals think? I dive in Florida in the Springs at 72 degree water temp in a 5 mill and am very comfortable. I have no idea what the water temp will be in Cayman in September.

You should not need 5 mil but a skin will not help keep you warm if you dive for a full week - if you don't want to buy a 3 mil get a vest to wear over your skin to keep your core warm. Have Fun!

You should not need 5 mil but a skin will not help keep you warm if you dive for a full week - if you don't want to buy a 3 mil get a vest to wear over your skin to keep your core warm. Have Fun!
Water was a solid 82last week and it was pushing uncomfortable in a 2/3 mil. As it has been warmer the usual you should expect 85 to 88. Your skin will be more than enough.

Plan on mid to upper 80's that time of year (unless a storm blows in). I haven't brought neoprene protection to Cayman in over 10 years and have yet to regret that decision. But, I am less prone to getting cold than some folks.

I will admit that I have a layer of insulation on my core (yes, a gut), but I spent the 1st week in September 2011 on Little Cayman, and I didn't wear any wetsuit at all. My computer consistently was reading 84-86F, with more towards the 86 than the 84. Unless you are the type to get cold easily, you should be fine in the skin. On the other hand, 2mil shorties are pretty cheap and would give your core a bit of warmth.

September will be 85F. Plan according to what that means for your own comfort level. For me, that means a full 3mm...and my current one is a hyper stretch, which means that I won't generally get cold until an hour into the second AM dive (whereas at 81F, I tend to get chilled at the 45 mark on every dive)

-hh

As noted above a 'skin' will be plenty plus it does provide a bit of protection for those occasional contacts with marine stuff (yes all of us on this forum have perfect buoyancy control, but just in case always good to have some protection :D ). I have found that wearing a dive beanie (aka cap) even in the summer months does a lot for keeping you comfortable....yes I get questioning looks in August with a cap but works for me. Also, if you are not aware of this there is a no dive glove policy when diving in the Caymans.

Although that second dive might get you cold, a 5 mil is kinda heavy. As suggested a 3ml body suit would do, or maybe your skin and a beany,but that may be a little thin.
Are you diving every day or just a few dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom