What I have learned through dive gear purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, I look at the gear I've gone through . . . Mask after mask, looking for "the" mask, the one that won't ever leak a drop, and has bifocals to boot. (Just bought iteration 968, I think.) Fins . . . I have a collection, starting with the splits which I should never have bought, and currently focused on the Dive Rite EXPs, about which I haven't found anything to dislike yet. I'm on my third dry suit, and my second brand of hood, and about my sixth kind of rock boot (don't like any of them very much). Third brand of reg, and I think I may be done there. Second kind of canister light. I can't remember how many backup lights. We've gone through six brands of SMB, but I'm done with that one -- it's Halcyon from now on. I'm on my third undergarment, and lusting for a fouth.

There's a lot of dive gear out there, and I think very little of it is perfect. As I said on a thread about dry suits, you keep working your way through the possibilities until you find something whose virtues you value and whose drawbacks you can live with. And different people will prioritize different things, which is why I always try to say WHY I like the things I do, and also what I don't like about them.

Trust me, no problem...:rofl3:

-I know Canadians that will back me up, lots of them...

Hey .. Don't misquote me . It's not a problem getting cold water setup. It's a problem when I have it sent to the office so my wife doesn't find out.. Shhhhhhh

Wolfie:6344530:
Hey .. Don't misquote me . It's not a problem getting cold water setup. It's a problem when I have it sent to the office so my wife doesn't find out.. Shhhhhhh

Is there a support group for this? :)

Reactions: Jax
D rings and triglides don't count, right? I mean, they're not expensive or anything...

A few years ago we were diving in Dominica. We were using a small op 20 minutes away versus the larger op right next door to where we stayed. One morning we got up and drove down to our op in a light rain. As we were gearing up lightning struck out over the water so the op called off the morning dive. We drove back to our hotel and since it was now raining harder we just went back to bed. When we woke up a couple hours later the sun was shining. We walked next door to the local op and told them about missing our morning dives. They suggested we go out with them on an afternoon dive. We had left our BCs and regs with our regular op. This op said no problem we'll let you use rental gear with no charge. Well the BCs and regs were a little old and beat up but were in working order. Going out on the boat I noticed the chest strap clips of my BC were broken so I just loosely tied the two ends together to hold it on. We made the dive and once underwater it didn't matter that the gear was older and beat up and not our high quality gear personally selected by us. The dive was just as good as any other dive we did that trip. Most of us recreational divers probably make way too much fuss about our gear, almost any of it is good and will work. Now for cave divers, wreck divers, deep decompression dives, etc. I completely understand having exactly the gear you want. But for simple 60 foot recreational dives most anything will do. But I keep helping support my local LDS. As soon as I think I'm finally done and don't need anything else something else catches my eye and more /different gear is purchased. We'd probably all be better off just diving more and paying less for gear.

Most of us recreational divers probably make way too much fuss about our gear, almost any of it is good and will work.

There is a lot of truth to this . . . but I'll also offer that having JUST the right gear is pure pleasure. When everything fits, and everything works, and everything is neat and tidy and comfortable, diving is just SO much easier and more fun. I want to love my equipment; anywhere that something irks me, I'll keep looking until I can find something else that doesn't. Why is why our entire basement is composed of dive gear :)

The shopping addicts know that for every item out there, no matter how good, there is always another that is better. It just must be found. You will never know that yours is inadequate until you have bought one of everything and tried them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom