What I have learned through dive gear purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a lot of truth to this . . . but I'll also offer that having JUST the right gear is pure pleasure. When everything fits, and everything works, and everything is neat and tidy and comfortable, diving is just SO much easier and more fun. I want to love my equipment; anywhere that something irks me, I'll keep looking until I can find something else that doesn't. Why is why our entire basement is composed of dive gear :)

Exactly. Now what irks me is that there are people were it doesn't matter! Boy do I wish I was one of those and I wish this little bit of OCD was strictly towards my diving habit but it's not, it comes into play with my everyday life which is a pain in the ass but makes for awesome garage sales :chuckle:

Once I finally found a buoyancy device (okay, it turned out to be a BP) that was the proper fit for me (I'm 6'-7"), it is simply amazing what a difference it makes. It feels like the system is part of me. So, that was "BC" #3..... Three sets of fins right now (needed new ones because of a DS & Rockboots).... Three masks to date, and still looking....

Regs, now that's another story. Still diving MK-10/109-156, but have added some others (MK-17 / G250V) because they were a good deal on the used market... add to that my wife and daughters gear....

Never seem to get rid of the other stuff..... think I can outfit 5-7 divers....

I blame this board for exposing me to all the "essential" stuff that I managed to do without for the 22 years I was certified before joining here.....

Somewhere between $20K and $25K, and I am still looking for that perfect gear. Sigh. Well, actually I have found almost all of it, but I still need another sidemount rig, more tanks, more tanks, a couple more regs, more lights, oh and more lights, more video and camera stuff, two scooters, and another drysuit. Then I should be good. Anyone wanna give me $20 grand? I will pay the rest of it. :)

Hey .. Don't misquote me . It's not a problem getting cold water setup. It's a problem when I have it sent to the office so my wife doesn't find out.. Shhhhhhh
I hate to tell you, but she probably already knows. It may be from the money trail or reading your posts on SB. It doesn't matter if she dives or not. That's just women.:wink:

D rings and triglides don't count, right? I mean, they're not expensive or anything...
Absolutely not. Anything I can get at McMaster Carr is just "General Hardware". I COULD use a stainless D ring for lots of things.:D

There is a lot of truth to this . . . but I'll also offer that having JUST the right gear is pure pleasure. When everything fits, and everything works, and everything is neat and tidy and comfortable, diving is just SO much easier and more fun. I want to love my equipment; anywhere that something irks me, I'll keep looking until I can find something else that doesn't. Why is why our entire basement is composed of dive gear :)
I'm the same way. Nothing is better than when your gear, weighting, and trim are just right. Then you hit that "Sweet Zone" in your dive when your tank weight/pressure is just right........just wiggle your foot and glide forward. Pure pleasure.:)

Yes, I'm a scuba junkie and have no intentions of rehab. Attempts of intervention, counseling, etc will be summarily ignored and probably scoffed at. Most "addictions" are negative by nature. But scuba is one of the positives despite the cost, time, and effort. Anyone that disagrees just doesn't understand.:D

Last edited:
HI:
My name is Darryl and I'm a gear addict. Fortunately, I've been able to sell gear almost as fast as I buy it, so I'm only a few thousand in the hole

HI:
My name is Darryl and I'm a gear addict. Fortunately, I've been able to sell gear almost as fast as I buy it, so I'm only a few thousand in the hole

But you should feel better than those shop owners who are, according to the popular saying, are just short of one million :)

Regs, wound up with MK17's paired with G250V's, Tech 3's paired with XTX50's for stage/deco and a back up set of MK25's.

But why not the other way Tek 3 on the back and mk 17 on the stages? Tek 3 seems to work better on the back

Regs, wound up with MK17's paired with G250V's, Tech 3's paired with XTX50's for stage/deco and a back up set of MK25's.

But why not the other way Tek 3 on the back and mk 17 on the stages? Tek 3 seems to work better on the back

If he is happy the way he's got it, then it's perfect... for him. I like my tek 3 set on my back, my legend lx's for stages, but that is my preference, best for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom