How to present scuba to 13 year old daughter without freaking her out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 13-year-old's physiology and lack of psychological maturity, both, concern me, too. I'm not certain I would allow my own children to become certified at age 13 because of this concern.

Diving is mostly about "following the rules." Most young children like the structure of rules and like to follow rules. It is older teens and young adults who feel that the rules no longer apply to them. If more adults adhered to the rules like children the Accidents and Incidents forum would report far fewer accidents and incidents.

Yes, a 13-year old thinks differently from an adult. That is why young divers are limited in how deep they can dive and whom they can dive with.

A friend of mine was certified a few years ago, and his wife and son followed. As it happens, his wife messed up on a training dive and the teenage son (also on his training dive) saved her. Don't underestimate youth.

For her 13th birthday, I gave my daughter a trip to anywhere in the contintental US to do whatever fun adventure she would like.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

BOOM!

Ok, on a serious note, according to my instructor most people have an issue with the breathing-underwater-without-a-mask part, a.k.a strict mouth breathing.

I never had an issue with it but a good training method I've seen is filling the mask half full and just breathe thru the mouth.

Now if she has her heart set on it then do the full course but if it just 'looks cool' then go the quicker route with a resort course. Then she'll find out if she truly digs it.
Pennekamp in Key Largo offers just such a program (I did my OW with them)

Now if she has her heart set on it then do the full course but if it just 'looks cool' then go the quicker route with a resort course. Then she'll find out if she truly digs it.
Pennekamp in Key Largo offers just such a program (I did my OW with them)

"Resort courses," "weekend courses," and "real multi-week courses" are all stepping-off points to learning about scuba. Don't stop at basic OW. Don't stop at advanced OW. Go at least until SRD (scuba rescue diver). IMHO if you want to start with a "Resort course" or a "weekend course" you are blowing good money for nothing... Your daughter seems determined and that goes a long way...

Having reviewed the thread, here are my additional comments. First, do a Discover Scuba Experience first. This will show your daughter, who already has enthusiasm for the sport, what she is working toward. Knowing the fun of diving, even in a pool, will give her incentive to do the academic work which is required before you go diving. Next, consider an in-seat class rather than on line. In-seat taught by an instructor will focus on her as the learner. She needs to do her own work, her own reading, her own knowledge reviews and her own tests. She is used to in-class experiences from school, and will absorb more, in my opinion, in that forum. ( I favor in-set classes for everyone, by the way, but particularly for young people. ) Your daughter needs to develop the same knowledge and skills as divers of all ages: there is no "little league" for dive training. Be sure to give your daughter the space to do her own work, develop her own skills, and become a competent diver. I refer you to my blog: " To the Parents of Junior Open Water Divers" in the blog section her on scubaboard.
DivemasterDennis

Only read a few of the posts, but if you have enough money to offer her anything.. more or less. you have enough $ to get certified yourself. It may be a wonderful adventure for both of you if you are capable of it. i would NOT allow my 13 yr old to dive with anyone but me.

My son and I were certified together last Christmas. He is 11. It was his idea and something he wanted to do (I had also wanted to do it for quite a long time but life seemed to get in the way but that is another story). The ONLY thing I would have done differently with his course would have been to done it in a classroom instead of e-learning. Nothing against the e-learning but I think the structure of a classroom would be much better for a child. It was a chore sometimes to get him to do his online work in between school, play, friends ect. and took quite a bit longer to go through than a sit in class would have. After we got to the pool work it was easy as can be and he wanted more, more, more. We did our OW check dives in Key Largo. On the first dive the instructor showed him an arrowhead crab and let him hold it. I will never forget the look of wonder and amazement in his eyes as he held the tiny crab in his hand. That was one of the highlights of my life, one simply cannot put a price on something like that. (and I bet he will never forget it either)! We both look forward to many more experiences and cannot wait to get back to the ocean. I also recommend a discover course first, even if just in a pool it will whet her (and I bet your) appetite and make the course work go easier if there is a known goal to shoot for. Those first breaths underwater are what dreams are made of.

The ONLY thing I would have done differently with his course would have been to done it in a classroom instead of e-learning. Nothing against the e-learning but I think the structure of a classroom would be much better for a child. It was a chore sometimes to get him to do his online work in between school, play, friends ect. and took quite a bit longer to go through than a sit in class would have.

You may have a misunderstanding about the difference between online instruction and the classroom instruction. In the classroom, you do not come with no background and get taught. It is really very close to the online experience, with the primary difference being that in once case you are going to a computer and in the other you are reading from the book. In the classroom experience, the student comes in having read and studied all the materials ahead of time, and the instructor goes over the self check quizzes the student has done to make sure that everything was understood. The real difference is that the online program does a preliminary check for understanding before the student goes in. This, to me, is the very big and significant difference. When I have taught the classroom version, I have frequently had students come in who have only skimmed the reading material and have little real understanding of it. That really screws up the class, because it is not supposed to be providing that initial understanding. With the online learning, the students have to have gone through the materials carefully in order to get the certificate required to begin the physical class. I have never had an online student come in without a pretty complete understanding of the materials.

If the student had difficulty finding the time for the online learning, the student will have difficulty finding time to read the book, too.

My daughter was certified at 13. When she was 11, she did an intro to scuba on Maui, through Shaka Doug. The presentation was low pressure, laid back, but safe and sound... Doug is an excellent teacher.

In prep for our trip to Belize, both of our children took the PADI course. Out of concern for the quality of their instruction, I arranged for a private instructor. The individual focus and attention were well worth the cost, and we had many amazing dives together in Belize.

We'll be off to Maui again soon, and we'll be connecting with Shaka Doug again.

My boys just completed a scuba rangers youth camp at 7 and 9. I was also concerned about them paying attention and picking up the important bits. I was amazed at what sponges they were, how quickly and easily that not only learned but retained the information and how easily they mastered the skills. Children simply don't have the hang ups that adults do.

It will be the best thing she ever does.

You may have a misunderstanding about the difference between online instruction and the classroom instruction. In the classroom, you do not come with no background and get taught. It is really very close to the online experience, with the primary difference being that in once case you are going to a computer and in the other you are reading from the book. In the classroom experience, the student comes in having read and studied all the materials ahead of time, and the instructor goes over the self check quizzes the student has done to make sure that everything was understood. The real difference is that the online program does a preliminary check for understanding before the student goes in. This, to me, is the very big and significant difference. When I have taught the classroom version, I have frequently had students come in who have only skimmed the reading material and have little real understanding of it. That really screws up the class, because it is not supposed to be providing that initial understanding. With the online learning, the students have to have gone through the materials carefully in order to get the certificate required to begin the physical class. I have never had an online student come in without a pretty complete understanding of the materials.

If the student had difficulty finding the time for the online learning, the student will have difficulty finding time to read the book, too.

I can see your point. But having the "time limit" ie "class is next Tuesday at 6 and this is what you have to learn before then" is where I was coming from. With no set in stone time to have each chapter completed it made it easier in his mind to drag things out a couple weeks longer. The way I set things up with the instructor/shop was to purchase the materials and told them when complete we would schedule the pool work. This led to the idea of "I can wait to do this until I get around to it" I did not want to be an ogre with him and push him thus having the opposite effect. I wanted the learning to be as enjoyable and complete as possible to keep the interest there. He did great on all of his quizzes and final test. We studied together and made it a good experience. Like I said earlier nothing at all against the e-learning but I still think a little more structure would have been a good thing for a child.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom