Help with dive ops in wpb and ft. Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
HI ALL,

My wife and I are experienced divers (check profile) We are planning on spending 10 days to 2 weeks diving in the West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale areas. Plan to drive over from Houston in about a week. We would appreciate some real good advice and suggestions concerning dive operations. We shoot video and digital photos. Will not be bugging nor spearfishing. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!:wink:

Recent video shot in Roatan West End in July: DIVING ROATAN'S HOLE IN THE WALL - YouTube

Won't go wrong this time of year. The premiere event this time of year is goliath grouper diving in the West Palm/Jupiter area. 200 tp 800 pound fish congregate by the dozens on the offshore wrecks for spawning. This is not to be missed big animal diving and in my experience one of the best big animal dives anywhere. This is not really a Fort Lauderdale thing and is focused on (from north to south) Jupiter, Palm Beach, and Boynton Beach. See my thread on EPIC start to Goliath Season. We are blessed with many good operators in this area. The ones I use for these trips are:

Jupiter Area: ScubaWorks and its boat the Blue Tang (small boat 12 max, great crew): Jupiter Dive Center (bigger boats, more people, very safety-conscious and strict about proofs of certification for deeper dives).

West Palm Area: Jim Abernethy Scuba Adventures (bigger boat 20 max), or Pura Vida Dive shop on Singer Island (smaller boat 12 max).

Boynton Beach (for the Castor wreck): Underwater Explorers (Kevin owns and runs a 6-pack boat and is great) .

There are several other very well regarded boats and operators (Narcosis dive boat, Emerald Dive, Bill Walker's boat Wetter the Better) but I have not dove with them so have no personal experience.

In addition to Goliaths on the wrecks, there are turtles out on the reefs this time of year.

When you are exhausted with the big stuff, or just want a day of offgassing, the "must do" dive is the Blue Heron Bridge, probably one of the best macro spots in the country. It is a beach dive from a park in protected waters, max depth 16 feet and full of the most interesting small critters you can imagine. There is an entire thread here on the bridge (BHB Bridge Trolls). The shops close by to rent tanks from are Force-E on Blue Heron Boulevard and Pura Vida on Singer Island.

Also, if you are going to stay in this area, the Hilton on Singer Island offers rates around 100 or so for divers depending on availability. You can find a link on www.sfdj.com, which is a website run by a local diver with links to hotels and to boats in the area. Also has great articles on the Bridge and on goliath diving.

Also, in the Ft. Lauderdale area, there is an excellent beach dive called Lauderdale by the Sea (LBTS). It is a 100 yard or so swim out to a very nice shallow (10-18 foot) coral reef with lots of colorful hard corals, tropical fishes, and macro life. It is not tide-dependent and can be done day or night. The shop to contact for this is called Gold Coast Scuba and they can also hook you up with all the boat and wreck dives you could want, and they also know of several other excellent beach dives including a 750 yard swim out to a wreck. lFrom boats, there are lots of nice wrecks in Lauderdale.

With the amount of time you have, you could also get from Ft. Lauderdale to Key Largo for a day trip to the wonderful shallow reefs (the best in the state) and great wrecks like the Duane or Spiegel Grove. Our shops down there are Quiesence (6 pack boats) or Conch Republic Divers, and I have heard good things about Rainbow Dive and Silent World but have not dove with them, yet.

Water temps are in the 80s now, with an occasional thermocline. Very pleasant diving and, usually, very calm and clear as well.

For the palm beach/jupiter/boynton wrecks, you might get ripping current that requires to crawl around on the sand to move around, that is very common.

Have a great trip! I am sure you will get many more recommendations on this thread.

Guy gave a pretty exhaustive list for Palm Beach County: my favorite is Jupiter Dive Center. To the WPB list, I'd add Narcosis. I've been out with them a handful of times and they have a fast boat and sometimes head north to Juno. An experienced diver will be very comfortable on that boat. I've been out with Walker's (Wetter the Better), but I thought he was between boats now. Maybe he's back up and operating again. He also ran a nice operation on his former boat.

In the Lauderdale/Pompano area, I've been out with Pompano Dive Center, ScubaWorks and South Florida Dive Headquarters. All three can take you to deeper wrecks like the Rodeo 25 (~130 feet in the sand) or ultra shallow but incredibly beautiful reefs like the Nursery or Pompano Drop off. I've been out with all three and would not hesitate to go out with any of them again. Like Guy says, Lauderdale by the Sea has some great beach dives and Gold Coast Scuba on Commercial Blvd can rent tanks and gear: they also have a Meetup group of active beach divers. Here's an example of one of their dives...... http://www.meetup.com/goldcoastscuba/events/78516432/

You'll also see that Gold Coast's meetup group also sponsors some boat dives as well, though they don't have their own boat.

...Plan to drive over from Houston in about a week. We would appreciate some real good advice....

One of the problems we have in South Florida is weather. Today Tropical Storm Isaak formed. We won't know if it will impact the Florida pennisula until Sunday. If it takes a track to to hit us, it will be here in about a week. Even if it is a near miss, the swells will make boating difficult, if not impossible; visibility will be awful.

The only advice I have to offer is to watch the weather and have a "Plan B". The good side is you didn't make plans, book flights and make hotel reservations and risk losing money on the deal.

One of the problems we have in South Florida is weather. Today Tropical Storm Isaak formed. We won't know if it will impact the Florida pennisula until Sunday. If it takes a track to to hit us, it will be here in about a week. Even if it is a near miss, the swells will make boating difficult, if not impossible; visibility will be awful.

The only advice I have to offer is to watch the weather and have a "Plan B". The good side is you didn't make plans, book flights and make hotel reservations and risk losing money on the deal.

Thanks, Reck Diver!!! At this time of year we are not going to get booked into something we can't run from.......lived on the water on Galveston Island for 12 years......rode em out, ran from them and then sold the place. Now the property is for sale where the house, pier and boat lift used to be. Thanks to Ike. Not my problem!!

Real good info.......thanks again.

These guys summed it up pretty well. I was lucky enough to go out with Jupiter Dive Center on Sunday - it was awesome. I was not prepared for it, and cannot wait until I can get out and see those grouper again.
It was my first dive with Jupiter Dive Center, and the DM was one of the best I've had. Thorough, safety conscious, but not overbearing and did a great job pointing stuff out for us.
Jupiter/West Palm are drift dives, and the current can be pretty "zoom zoom", but I like it. Nothing like sitting back and enjoying the ride... It did make it tough to sit still for photos. I ended up hanging on to the wreck with one hand (bring gloves).
Blue Tang/Scuba Works is also a fun boat.
JASA out of West Palm is always a good dive. Encountered a hammerhead, and lots of turtles while out with them.
I haven't had the opportunity to go out with Underwater Explorers/Kevin - but it's on my list of things to do.
I haven't seen Captain Tony/Diveboat Diversity mentioned yet. He's out of Boca, convenience for me puts him close to the top of the list as well - but no DM in the water (unless requested and compensated). If I remember correctly, he's from Texas as well.

Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea is a one stop shop for everything you need/want to know about beach dives. They're a good group of guys and have a very active meetup group that dives almost every day of the week. I've met friends/buddies through this shop and LBTS is a sweet, easy (not as easy as Bonaire-but what is) shore dive.

Blue Heron is a must do, if you can get the tides to work in your schedule. Force E in Riviera Beach sponsors night dives on occassion - and they have one scheduled for the 30th, but its one of those places that unless you know what you're looking for/where to go, you could miss a lot. I still miss a lot, and have done plenty of dives there. That said - it's the kind of place where one gets "tired" of seeing so many _________ (octopus, batfish, flying gunnards, etc etc). Seriously? Yeah, that's me...the jaded diver who gets "tired" of that many octo. It's ridiculous, I know.

If you can make it down to the Keys, consider Conch Republic Divers. Excellent.

For the record, I got my OW in 288 Lake. Moved here from Houston 2 years ago....and can't imagine living anywhere else!
But I do miss the quality of restaurants in Houston. Food just isn't the same here (sigh).

You def want to keep an eye on Isaac - am hoping for the best, but have already stocked up on water. Better to be safe and hydrated.....than sorry!

Check this site for swell forecast - most of the time I have no idea if there is rain on the radar, but I keep up to date on what swells look like!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida Surf Forecast and Surf Report

Good luck - hope you make it over to SoFLa and get some great dives in!

Rae

Yo Reck, we're going with our LDS and diving with Jim Abernathy over the Labor Day weekend. I have been keeping a close eye on Isaac and it will potentially hit the east coast sometime around Monday morning the 27th. Since we won't actually get wet until Friday the 31st, how much of an impact will a tropical storm/hurricane have 2-3 days after it leaves? Thinking mainly about visibility, not about sea conditions which should be fine.

Guy summed it up really well. I love diving on the Blue Tang. I go out with them all of the time, they've got a great crew and can take you to some great spots to film goliath groupers, turtles, sharks, wrecks, all that stuff.

Yo Reck, we're going with our LDS and diving with Jim Abernathy over the Labor Day weekend. I have been keeping a close eye on Isaac and it will potentially hit the east coast sometime around Monday morning the 27th. Since we won't actually get wet until Friday the 31st, how much of an impact will a tropical storm/hurricane have 2-3 days after it leaves? Thinking mainly about visibility, not about sea conditions which should be fine.

By 8/31 weather from Isaac will not be an issue. Seas will have laid down and barring any other systems, the ocean should be great. In fact nothing moves the bugs around like a little weather. They may even be walking!

Now, if we get a direct hit, could mean no electricity, and problems getting fuel. Boats and Marinas are sitting ducks and can be receive considerable damage. I don't know of any dive shops that have back up generators and therefore are unable to fill tanks without power. Hotels generally don't board up (other than commercial areas) and can receive enough damage to keep them down for a week. Did I mention that when the traffic signals are out, everyone in South Florida forgets how to drive?

I wouldn't be putting down any deposits!!

Yesterday I topped off the boat with fuel, Got all my tanks filled and checked my supplies. Whether we get hit or not, I'll be diving by Wednesday!

Keep an eye on the weather and wait until you a sure everything is up and operating before you make the call.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom