Dive computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some operations will insist on them, but they may have them for rental so better to check before you go.

not at all, is the one word answer (more like three :)), plan your dive and dive your plan. that's about it

no, but here's the drawback - if you are diving without a computer, then you are diving with tables. tables assume a square profile, which means that if you really drop down to 80 feet to see a wreck then spiral up a coral wall slowly for the rest of the dive - so you spent less then 5 minutes at 80 - by tables, the whole dive counts as 80ft. i know you know that from class, but might not be sure what it means. it means that if your first dive is 30 minutes, then your second dive to the same place an hour and 15 minutes later will be 7 minutes...*and that's the maximum*.

you can't dive using someone else's computer because they aren't diving your dive. you are. and your dive is by tables, every time that day or that trip. when the tables say you are done, then you're done, even if others are going for their fourth or more dive of the day. is it a penalty? sort of. but that's the choice you make. the whole point is keeping track of your nitrogen load, and you are using tables.

if this is acceptable, if you have the discipline to perhaps cut the first dive short to save some time for other dives, or if you're only doing one dive a day, then wonderful. problem solved. but me, unless i'm doing one really big dive a day, i'll be using a computer.

if you plan on tables, double check with the op. around here, they want you to have a computer *or* a bottom timer, but are fine either way.

if you are totally aware of all this, please don't take offense. consider it a note to others with the same question who don't have your experience.

Will a dive guide/DM want to check your table calculations if you decide to dive with tables or will they just assume that as a certified diver you know what you are doing?

Personally a dive computer was one of my first post certification purchases and given the total cost of dive travel and diving in general something like a Suunto Zoop seems like a relatively cheap investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For $24, you can get an ERDP and do multilevel plans. Still not as nice as a computer but much better than the impossible to use ( for me ) and no longer available PADI wheel. ( you don't even want to go there) At least with the eRDP you're not stuck with a single level. I actually like my ERDP. You will need a bottom timer, if only a decent watch that can be taken to 150 feet. I used tables for 5 years before I bought a computer.
Most live a boards require a computer.
There are quite a few reasonably nice computers in the $200 range, even with nitrox. I just bought an Aeris XT wrist model that does nitrox for a little over $200.

Buy or rent a computer at home. Have the shop show you how to use it before the trip. Most of the operators in AC at least occasionally go into deco. Having your own computer will help you manage your own dives and avoid or manage your decompression obligations. DO NOT TRUST ANY DM TO CHECK YOUR WORK on your plans. I met one DM in San Pedro who confided that he leaves his computer set to EAN32 and dives air because it is the only way he can keep his computer from locking him out while working. Do not trust anyone down there to manage your profile.

... with just one or two exceptions!

You won't be able to dive on tables here as all dives are done as group dives and you won't be in control of your profile. I strongly recommend you get your own computer, learn it thoroughly, and use it on every dive. If you find you're going too close to deco you can always follow the group from shallower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom