What kind of wing with Freedom plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine has the rail-I like it.

I dive wrecks all the time on a single — just don’t penetrate very far unless I’m on an umbilical.
Where is there a wreck, within recreational depths, that can be penetrated in Northern California? I would like to dive one!

As far as that goes, I’ve seen more gear damage in bouncing inflatables than on normal sport dives.
My boat has eaten up it's share of expensive gear LOL

All that said, the non-extreme wing is at least as tough as all the others.
I would say a pinched bladder is probably the most likely failure, not a cut outer skin.

I don’t understand the cool factor though since the extreme looks like all the other black wings???
That is okay, I never understood the cool factor of having ones pants hanging off their butt.

Anything with the word "Extreme" in it is cool :cool2:

Where is there a wreck, within recreational depths, that can be penetrated in Northern California? I would like to dive one!...

Sadly, I have to travel considerable distances for my wreck fix. :(

The entire western Pacific is not great except for the Honda wrecks on the super rare times weather permits. I spent a lot of time in that Sub off Imperial Beach (San Diego), but that is so tight you shouldn’t have a BC at all. There are a few wrecks off Baja that are pretty good.

Between GPS and Radar I suspect that wreck diving is a disappearing form of diving world-wide — another 50 years maybe. I doubt there will ever be any intentionally sunk wrecks north of the Channel Islands, except for maybe in Puget Sound. Modern vessels just don’t last long before collapsing into a pile of metal plate… but maybe that should be in another forum like Whine and Cheeze!

…I would say a pinched bladder is probably the most likely failure, not a cut outer skin...

You are probably right, even though I personally haven’t actually seen a pinched bladder failure (where the Extreme material offers little to no added protection). I have seen holes punched by rusted steel (not iron) on wrecks and platforms. I drew blood more than once on remnants of steel that mounted consumed anodes to platforms. One of the worst is rebar in collapsed or discarded concrete structures. They rust to sharp points. I heard from a friend who does a lot of critter surveys that sea urchins claim a few BC bladders. Barnacles are very high-abrasion, as are some oysters. Mussels aren’t bad at all. Abrasion damage will usually result in discarding the wing before the bladder fails.

All the aluminum I can recall corrodes to a soft rounded edge. Broken glass is rarely an issue. Most vessel windows are tempered and sharp edges are quickly worn away on stuff like bottles.

I really don’t know about the potential for wreck or critter-caused damage in Alaska (OP’s location). It is always difficult to make “is it worth it” and “what is good enough” decisions for others. Since danaero hasn’t been diving long enough to wear much gear out, try talking to buddies and dive shops about BC failures. That and this video should provide enough information to make an informed decision.

I am not suggesting one over the other. There’s no reason to spend the extra money unless you believe that the added physical protection is worth it for the diving you plan. The elbow, hoses, and filler are just as delicate as all the rest. Always assume your BC will fail, which should be considered an inconvenience. Don’t buy an Extreme, or any BC, because you think it will make you safer.

I have the Oxy 30 on my early stainless FP. Works perfect though I have added different STA adapters over the last few years, some home made, some bought, I think I have Oxy adapters on it now.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom