Solo-Friendly Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
What liveaboard and charter boats are solo friendly? Maybe I/we can compile the info and make the post sticky.

I am thinking a table with the following would be useful:

• Vessel Name
  • Location/port
  • Day charter or liveaboard
  • Solo C-card required
  • Official policy or a case-by-case judgment
  • A link to their Web site would be handy
  • Date reported (things change)
  • General brief comments

Sorry if this question has been asked, but I couldn’t find it.

Last edited:
M/V Spree
Key West
Liveaboard
SDI Solo or PADI Self Reliant card required
Official policy
Spree Expeditions M/V Spree SCUBA Diving Dry Tortugas/Vandenberg and Florida Keys Wrecks
policy has been in place for 10 years
Solo deco diving not allowed, divers must be properly equipped with SMB/Reel and redundant air source. H or Y valves are not redundant air supplies. Solo training is available for DM's, instructors, and tech divers. Rental ponies are available, rental regulators are not.

It appears the Odyssey at Truk Lagoon has no heartburn with solo, C-card or not:

…The Odyssey. As RJP once wrote – to dive on the Odyssey is to ruin any future trip you might take on a liveaboard. I cannot think of anything that they could have done much better (at least, not without the ability to clone Jessica Alba). It starts with the opening dive briefing: “On this boat ‘deco’ is not a four letter word’ On this boat ‘solo’ is not a four letter word. You dive how you are comfortable diving. If you want guides, we will provide them. If you want to dive alone, we just ask that you do not die….

---------- Post Merged on September 6th, 2012 at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was on September 5th, 2012 at 05:41 PM ----------

Here's a California day boat:

1. Vessel: Monterey Express
2. Location/port: Monterey, California
3. Charter or liveaboard: Charter/half day typical
4. Solo C-card required: no (see comment)
5. Official policy or a case-by-case judgment: Policy
6. A link to their Web site would be handy: Scuba Dive Monterey and Carmel on the Monterey Express!
7. Date reported (things change): 5 September 2012
8. General brief comments:
E-mail from Captain Tim Doreck:
Solo without a solo card is acceptable.
My assumption: If you ask me "am I qualified to dive solo?" UR NOT!
Almost all photographers won't admit it but their buddy system is "same ocean"​

The east coast has had a long standing policy of " don't ask, don't tell ". The expectation is however that you are known to the operator and are squared away. Flying in from somewhere and getting on a boat here and expecting to roll out your solo card and dive, ain't gonna happpen.
Eric

A lot of boats look the other way. The bummer is getting there and finding out there is a surcharge on your charter fee of providing babysitting services to an insta-buddy. I don’t even mind if they make me pretend a little by jumping in with someone, as long as they don’t expect us to actually stay or climb back aboard together.

Naturally, I make the intent clear to anyone who buddies up with me… no need to spoil their vacation if they think I would actually be a classic buddy. Maybe we should also add boats that are serious about enforcing the buddy system? I just hope the thread doesn't become a whining session.

I've done several solo dives off the Peace, in the Channel Islands. I do not own a solo c-card, but I was a known quantity by the captain and crew of that vessel before I asked if I could solo dive off their vessel. I do not know if they'd be as comfortable saying OK to someone unknown to them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I haven't had any problem on any of the So. Cal. Boats, as long as the trip is an open boat. If it is a sponsored charter (like Sports Chalet or a dive shop), often they will require buddies. That requirement is usually specified on the sponsor's website.

Mike Ball has a "Safe Solo Policy":

Solo Diving

Requires Solo Certification (available onboard) or compliance with:

Mike Ball Dive Expeditions Safe Solo requirement:

Minimum age: 18 years if dive master certified or 21 years with proof of 100 ocean dives with 5 in the last 12 months.

Equipment Required:

• Redundant air system (minimum 6 cubic feet).
  • Safety sausage.
  • Dive light on dive if within 2 hours of dusk.
  • Dive knife and compass.
Rental pony bottle units are available see equipment rental

Skill Evaluation:

• Surface snorkel 100 meters wearing scuba and be familiar with use.
  • Navigate 100 meters at 5 meters with 75% accuracy.
  • Hover at 5 meters for 3 minutes, clear mask.
  • Slowly surface using redundant air source.
  • Demonstrate use of safety sausage.

6 cu ft is not a lot of gas, after checking their website it is the only size they offer too, that is only twice the size of a Spare Air

For several years I have been using a 13 cu ft pony and after doing the Self Reliant Diver course realised that even that was too small and have since moved to a 30 cu ft bottle.

I know a number of solo friendly operators at the following destinations:
- Southern Finland (1)
- Tenerife, Spain (3, south, west and north Tenerife)
- Sardinia, Italy (1)

If you are interested in the names, feel free to PM me. Obviously all of these operators will want to evaluate you first.

I am a repeat customer of these companies and normally dive with a twinset plus a 7L alu stage. With one of the operators we have a secret protocol where he gives me a 15 minute advance warning before reaching destination. Consequently I splash into water just as he lowers the anchor. This gives me 20-30 minutes of solitude before the other divers have kitted and catch up. Plus, I can enjoy a longer dive as well.

Back
Top Bottom