Solo-Friendly Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just about every boat in So Cal I have been in has been solo friendly. They provide a taxi service, a briefing and assistance boarding after the dive. Great Escape, Sundiver, Magician, Spectre to name a few. I believe the practice extended to most other boats there. They will state you can solo if qualified, but don't ask for a card.

My experience as well ... I've solo dived several times off the Peace ... in fact, I've never had an issue solo diving off of any west-coast charter. And I do not have a solo card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Just found another one:

Explorer Ventures
Liveaboard
Maldives | Bahamas | Galapagos | Saba/St. Kitts/St. Maarten | Turks & Caicos | Silver Bank
Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Diving: Solo Diving

That's interesting ... solo diving is illegal ... literally ... in the Maldives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Olympus Dive Charter Morehead City NC.
My son got seasick and my instabuddy prospects weren't looking too good so I showed George (RIP) my solo card and had a great dive with the sand tiger sharks.

…That's interesting ... solo diving is illegal ... literally ... in the Maldives...

I didn’t see where it was excluded on Explorer’s solo link, so it is always a good idea to check. Maybe they don’t know, somehow operate out of their jurisdiction, believe it is not enforceable, or something else is at play. I was specifically checking on the Turks & Caicos Explorer II when I was directed to this link.

I understand that the Aggressor and Dancer fleets used to allow it but I was recently told by E-mail the “policy” changed. I imagine they all “look the other way” or follow the “leave the boat together” gambit to some extent.

I wonder what the penalty is in the Maldives? Execution probably. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom