Another question about no-fly times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better be safe than sorry, let go of that day 6th dive and live another day for more diving later.

Hi Karl, this won't be a liveaboard. I'm not nitrox certified yet, so while I might take the course during the trip, I wouldn't take that into my calculations just yet.
I will join ianr33 in recommending that you get that nitrox certification before the trip. You can do it online, I'm pretty sure, for $99, give or take. In my opinion, an online course is all that is necessary. The dive schedule that you have planned is kind of the sweet spot for nitrox, where you'll really see the benefit—either in more bottom time or an extra margin of safety (or a little bit of both).

Its been glossed over, but its not just your health and safety that needs to be considered. That flight is going to have many other people on it besides you. Businesspeople who have to be at meetings, people that haven't seen their spouses or kids for a while, there might even be a time sensitive organ transplant on board. If you get DCS and they have to divert your flight, every one of them is screwed. Think about how much you'd want to kick someone's rear if they did that to you.

Hi All,

I would appreciate your opinions on the following plan:
Days 1-5: Three dives per day (typical Palau dive plans)
Day 6: One dive to 9m with a bottom time of less than 30 min (scheduled at noon)
Day 6: International flight 9 hours later.

What are your thoughts on flying 9 hours after this shallow dive? After searching the forums, I think I have a good idea of what the answer would be: that this is such a shallow dive that a flight later that day should not be a problem. But considering that the circumstances aren't exactly the same as those described in other threads, I thought I would post this question to get more opinions. Thanks!

The 24hr rule is pretty clear on this.

\

Where you seeing that?

For PADI it is part of the current taught materials and part of the written test. It can also be found on the notes section of the current RDP (tables). Older tables still have the 24 hour rule on them, new ones say 18.

Here is the link for the DAN recommendations as of 2011 DAN | News

For PADI it is part of the current taught materials and part of the written test. It can also be found on the notes section of the current RDP (tables). Older tables still have the 24 hour rule on them, new ones say 18.

Here is the link for the DAN recommendations as of 2011 DAN | News

Right on. I was looking through the current materials and didn't see it. I'll look deeper. Thank you for the assistance!

edit: Found it!

B. What are the guidelines for flying after diving?
1. For a single dive within the no decompression
limit, a minimum preflight surface interval of
12 hours is suggested
2. For repetitive dives and/or multiday dives,
a minimum preflight surface interval of 18
hours is suggested.
3. For dives requiring decompression stops, a
minimum preflight surface interval greater
than 18 hours is suggested.
[Show how you used these guidelines on a past
dive trip.]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/