Another question about no-fly times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmographer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I would appreciate your opinions on the following plan:
Days 1-5: Three dives per day (typical Palau dive plans)
Day 6: One dive to 9m with a bottom time of less than 30 min (scheduled at noon)
Day 6: International flight 9 hours later.

What are your thoughts on flying 9 hours after this shallow dive? After searching the forums, I think I have a good idea of what the answer would be: that this is such a shallow dive that a flight later that day should not be a problem. But considering that the circumstances aren't exactly the same as those described in other threads, I thought I would post this question to get more opinions. Thanks!

Hi All,

I would appreciate your opinions on the following plan:
Days 1-5: Three dives per day (typical Palau dive plans)
Day 6: One dive to 9m with a bottom time of less than 30 min (scheduled at noon)
Day 6: International flight 9 hours later.

What are your thoughts on flying 9 hours after this shallow dive?
After searching the forums, I think I have a good idea of what the answer would be: that this is such a shallow dive that a flight later that day should not be a problem. But considering that the circumstances aren't exactly the same as those described in other threads, I thought I would post this question to get more opinions. Thanks!
Really? You're an optimist. I expect answers more along the lines of: DAN says 12 hours; 9 hours is begging for a type 2 hit and a wheelchair. Only in capital letters. :wink:

My answer is that there is a continuum of risk, and you have to decide where you want to be on it. Along with the two data points you have provided (your Nitrogen uptake and your surface interval) I would also consider your fitness, age, history, flight duration (I'd hate to be bent on a 12-hour flight ending in a city without a chamber; Palau to Guam would be better), and compounding factors (sleeplessness, dehydration, etc.). Then I would consider the marginal utility of the dive (diminishing), weigh it against the risk, and decide.

After a week of diving in Palau, that extra dive would have to be pretty special (is it cathedral cave?) for me to take the risk, however minimal. I would be more inclined to add extra dives during days 1-5. But I also like to have my equipment bone dry before I head home.

I would also pass on day 6 dives. I am sure that I would be very paranoid during the flight back and would have all kinds of real or imaginary symptoms. Do some interesting terrestrial activity or go for some snorkeling/free diving.

Enjoy your time in Palau..

Cheers,

Roger

If it was a regular dive, I would not even be tempted. The scheduled day 6 dive, however, is a dolphin dive. I suppose it's up to us how deep we go. Perhaps just going to 5m would be safer.

We also have other options:
1) Cancel our day 5 dives and do the dolphins instead (would rather not miss 3 Palau dives though) or
2) Do the Jellyfish Lake snorkel on Day 5 (2 dives + snorkel instead of 3 dives) which means that the SI will be 24 hours or greater. Should that be enough to fully desaturate?

The flight is going to Manila which is about 3 hours away, I believe. Does that even affect the chances of a hit, or is the benefit of a short flight purely for the sake of getting to a chamber quickly? Very good point about the wet gear!

If it was a regular dive, I would not even be tempted. The scheduled day 6 dive, however, is a dolphin dive. I suppose it's up to us how deep we go. Perhaps just going to 5m would be safer.

We also have other options:
1) Cancel our day 5 dives and do the dolphins instead (would rather not miss 3 Palau dives though) or
2) Do the Jellyfish Lake snorkel on Day 5 (2 dives + snorkel instead of 3 dives) which means that the SI will be 24 hours or greater. Should that be enough to fully desaturate?

The flight is going to Manila which is about 3 hours away, I believe. Does that even affect the chances of a hit, or is the benefit of a short flight purely for the sake of getting to a chamber quickly? Very good point about the wet gear!

Can't your snorkel/ free dive for the dolphins? They have to come up for air, so you really shouldn't have to go very deep to see them. The trick, generally, is not scaring them away.

If the dive is that important extended you trip an extra day. You will get a DCS hit it's just how bad will it be. What it will cost you in medical you could go back for a couple of days.

So 24 hours is not enough time to fully desaturate after a week of diving? I ask because assuming one is fully desaturated, a shallow dive followed by a flight 6 hours later should be fine based on a majority of opinions expressed in similar threads. The only difference between my circumstances and those others seems to be that I will have a full week of diving prior to the pre-flight dive. If this is indeed the differentiating factor, about how long would it take me to fully desaturate? Thanks!

So 24 hours is not enough time to fully desaturate after a week of diving? I ask because assuming one is fully desaturated, a shallow dive followed by a flight 6 hours later should be fine based on a majority of opinions expressed in similar threads. The only difference between my circumstances and those others seems to be that I will have a full week of diving prior to the pre-flight dive. If this is indeed the differentiating factor, about how long would it take me to fully desaturate? Thanks!

Nobody on this forum can give you an accurate answer to that question, too many variables involved, read Vladimir's post again.

Just checked my log book from diving in the Maldives a few years ago, 28 dives on air over 7 days with my computer reading on the morning of Day 8 a no fly time of 18 hrs and 4 mins

Back
Top Bottom