Gagging problem, need input!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know if this will help or not. I start the night before by drinking plenty of water or gatorade (vice my normal Coke), then when I start gearing up, I put a piece of gum in my mouth (small sized gum like Trident works well). Works well for me, cause I can either put it in my lower lip or squish it to the underside of the mouthpiece to hold it in place. Then if I need to wet my throat, I just chew on the gum a little. Again, don't know that it would help, but worth a shot.

Certainly try a metal second stage (Scubapro G250V has a metal air-barrel which will have the same effect, Mares Proton, old Scubapro 109 etc). I find a huge difference in moisture between my plastic and metal seconds - it's the difference between dry throat and comfort.

Also about your current practice of swallowing water - be careful. This can be very dangerous. I did that once in fresh water - my airway closed up and was unable to breathe for over 30 seconds...others have reported the condition lasting much longer:
Laryngospasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oddly, I find this thread one of the most interesting I've ever read. And not one negative thing in it. Even odder!

:popcorn:

well i hate you... thought I'd ruin that:mooner:

Please research a few articles on Immersion Pulmonary Edema and see if it seems like it may be involved at the subclinical level. If it is, the time spent researching could save your life.

Hello DC53,

I am having somewhat similar issues. I am having issues with post nasal drip while diving. It makes me cough, want to spit constantly, and makes me gag while diving. I also dive in cold water. I've been doing a lot, and I mean A LOT of research on this problem. It has been suggested that I try a couple of things.
1) a saline rinse the morning of my dives
2) an Apollo Bio-Filter, which provides moist air.

The apotheoses is that breathing the cold, dry air is making my sinuses produce more mucus, making me feel it in the back of my throat. I have not tried the Apollo filter yet, but I read the reviews and it looks awesome. I will re-post after mine shows up in the mail, and I give it a try.

Please do post if you find a solution out side of these.

Thanks,
ScubaDan

---------- Post Merged at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:54 PM ----------

This i must try, just for the cool affect

Hey Everyone,

I have been on a search for answers, and I think I have found them. My trouble, with a lot of divers, has been gagging on post nasal drip (phlegm) while diving. Things that are causing this:
1) Bad nasal passages
2) Not enough water intake, but for some people, there is never enough water intake
3) Anxiety (self propelled from dealing with this issue), but it also makes it worse
4) Depth
5) Exerting physical effort
6) Cold water (50s to 60 degrees)
7) Dry mouth, making it hard to swollow

All these things are factors, but what do we do. Stop diving? NOOOO! I have tried several remedies, and this is what seems to of solved the problem for me, without having to have sinus surgery:
1) Saline Mist (Spray). The Saline sprays are NON-medicated. You can use them as often as you like, and not damage your sinuses. I will use this before my dives to help soften my sinuses, and then blow my nose before getting suited up. Trust me, it helps!!
2) There are mixed reviews on this, but I have had NO ONE who has done it report a bad effect from it.... take Sudafed. In California you need to get this from the pharmacist. It's not a prescription medication, but they monitor it to make sure you're not making Meth. DON'T DIVE IF YOU ARE ON METH!! But seriously, take a Sudafed an hour before your dives, and you will be awesomely fine (Staying in depths of less then 130 feet (I've not tried this deeper)) .
3) Dry mouth - I recently purchased the Apollo Bio Filter. Alone this does not solve the post nasal drip issue at all, but it does give me moisture that helps me to swallow. Even without the Post Nasal Drip, the Bio Filter is really awesome.

That's it guys and gals. These things seem to have worked wonders for me. I was on the verge of giving up diving all together, but now I am back to my DMing, and diving virtually every weekend. Yay!!!

Good luck all!!!!

Dan

Hey Everyone,

I have been on a search for answers, and I think I have found them. My trouble, with a lot of divers, has been gagging on post nasal drip (phlegm) while diving. Things that are causing this:
1) Bad nasal passages
2) Not enough water intake, but for some people, there is never enough water intake
3) Anxiety (self propelled from dealing with this issue), but it also makes it worse
4) Depth
5) Exerting physical effort
6) Cold water (50s to 60 degrees)
7) Dry mouth, making it hard to swollow

All these things are factors, but what do we do. Stop diving? NOOOO! I have tried several remedies, and this is what seems to of solved the problem for me, without having to have sinus surgery:
1) Saline Mist (Spray). The Saline sprays are NON-medicated. You can use them as often as you like, and not damage your sinuses. I will use this before my dives to help soften my sinuses, and then blow my nose before getting suited up. Trust me, it helps!!
2) There are mixed reviews on this, but I have had NO ONE who has done it report a bad effect from it.... take Sudafed. In California you need to get this from the pharmacist. It's not a prescription medication, but they monitor it to make sure you're not making Meth. DON'T DIVE IF YOU ARE ON METH!! But seriously, take a Sudafed an hour before your dives, and you will be awesomely fine (Staying in depths of less then 130 feet (I've not tried this deeper)) .
3) Dry mouth - I recently purchased the Apollo Bio Filter. Alone this does not solve the post nasal drip issue at all, but it does give me moisture that helps me to swallow. Even without the Post Nasal Drip, the Bio Filter is really awesome.

That's it guys and gals. These things seem to have worked wonders for me. I was on the verge of giving up diving all together, but now I am back to my DMing, and diving virtually every weekend. Yay!!!

Good luck all!!!!

Dan

Thanks, Dan! I'm glad I came across this thread today. I have terrible post nasal drip (but I don't have gagging problems). Sounds to me like two things that will greatly help is increasing my water intake and a nasal saline spray. I may even try the sudafed. Doing a pool dive next weekend just to get in the water before going back to Bonaire in early February. Thanks!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I thought I was the only one with this problem (word for word same as the OP). I can't see spending $200 on the apollo filter but I can definitely try the saline spray easy enough. Not a big fan of candies or chokables in your mouth. You may cough anyways and end up choking on whatever is in your mouth. A capri sun sounds like a good idea, I've actually thought about a very small bottle of water.

Went diving today. My buddy was frantic before his first dive. He just HAD TO find the cough drop before he went into the water. He also has sinus problems and has indicated that he can have huge problems with the gag reflex and phlem, if he doesn't use the cough drops.

Incidentally, the menthol also seems to help with ear clearing, as long as you put the lozenge in 20 minutes before the dive.

I do this before any dive day, especially on lake weekends when I have to be in the water with students. Drink down a Gatorade and pop a cough drop. I don't have any gagging problems, but the menthol helps keep my E-tubes soothed and less likely to get closed up from the cold air.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2013 at 04:58 PM ----------

Thanks for the tips everyone. I thought I was the only one with this problem (word for word same as the OP). I can't see spending $200 on the apollo filter but I can definitely try the saline spray easy enough. Not a big fan of candies or chokables in your mouth. You may cough anyways and end up choking on whatever is in your mouth. A capri sun sounds like a good idea, I've actually thought about a very small bottle of water.

or a camelbak. They make them small enough to fit into a BC pocket and the tubes are long. I've kludged up a rigging system a few times with my large camelbak and enjoyed fruit punch underwater.

Does the Ocean Reef Neptune Predator deserve the good reviews? Other ideas entirely?:confused:

Thanks!

A FFM might offer a solution. I think the gagging reflex has something to do with pressure that the mouthpiece puts on the tongue so maybe... I wish I had a fool-proof solution to this because I've had the odd student who had trouble with this reflex too and so far I haven't been happy with the things I've tried. Using an old style mouth piece that isn't connected across the middle seems to help more often than not, but I find it a bit of an ugly hack.

As for the Ocean Reed masks. I'm not sure. I tried an earlier version of that mask and it sucked, especially when inverted. I've heard that the newer ones are better. This is one of those things that can be a bit of an acquired taste so you really need to try it before you decide.... and if you throw up in that thing then ... yeah.... don't even want to think about that.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom