Cold Water Hoods? I need a new hood.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter Bay all the way!!

You will find many hoods have a vent put in them so they don't balloon up from air getting trapped inside. Well Otter Bay doesn't need that hole in their hood because the 12mm can't balloon at all, due to its thickness. Is there a benefit to a tight fitting hood with a little air in it? Yup, more warmth. If the water isn't flushing through your hood you will stay warmer. Induce bubbles in and then let them escape out the top and it will cause water to flush BRRRRR...

I have a few hoods in the 7m range, and my Pinnacle Polar has an integrated hood, and not even doubled up do they compare to my Otter Bay hood.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/216794-otter-bay-12mm-hood-review.html

scapa flow scuba
i'm a poster child!! DSCN1112.jpg

I prefer a dry suit hood in new jersey in the summer. I don't like the restrictive movement of a full collar hood. I am warm in 50* water. My Aqua Lung Flex suit sits tight to the neck.Its also much easier to get suited up!
when I bought my first exposure suit, it was kind of a rushed decision. i was doing open water, and the rental suits didnt seem to fit well, so i said the hell with it and bought a bare farmer john style 7mm wetsuit. I have to say the suit fits me great, and i am very warm, even tho the water temp today was 4 degrees celcius. the only weak link is my hood. its a XS Scuba hood. not sure how thick. but the problem is that it has a really straight cut up around the forehead. ice headache every time i get in the water.

Anyway, whats a really good wetsuit hood. I had a fourth element hood on at my LDS, it was awesome, but it was a drysuit hood. no collar. Any Suggestions???

I just bought a Bare coldwater hood (Dive - Products - Accessories - Hoods - Elastek Coldwater Hood - Unisex) to replace my cheap no-name hood. It's 7mm on the skull, with 3mm around the face and neck seal. It's got a nice long bib and the top is vented. I like the fit and it'll do well in our 50 degree winter water down here in San Diego...if you get into the high 40s to 50s during summer it would be a nice summer hood for you to wear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom