Poseidon Mark VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in eventually getting into a rebreather. I have been looking at the Posedion Mark VI. If I am looking to do NDL diving, is it worth to get a rebreather? I am looking to primarily use this if possible when I go liveboards. I am hopefully going to the Socorro Island in 2015 again. Most of the diving here is deep and do not get a lot of bottom time on 100. Also, I do UW Photography. With the possibility of humpbacks in the water, I would also be able hopefully to photograph these on while on a rebreather.

Would a rebreather be something that I should consider pursuing based on the facts I have listed above.

Sean

The short answer is Yes. Test drive a few different ones so you can find what works best for you. Rebreathers are becoming more mainstream for recreational divers and many agencies are providing recreational programs. A great article in "Dive Training" this month (March 2013) for you to read with lots of great information.

The short answer is no. They are expensive to purchase, expensive to dive, and expensive to maintain and a unit like the MKVI is incur considerable downtime with head issues requiring shipping back to home base for service/repair.

Sidemount Twin 100's with Nitrox would be cheaper, safer and give you pretty good NDL time. if you have cash to burn, purchase a Lithium Ion battery scooter such as the Cuda or Genesis as a scooter extends your dive range and bottom time through reduced gas/exertion.

Figure training costs into your budget and figure you would have to purchase a new rebreather if you decided to dive beyond the limitations of the recreational MKVI.

Also, check used prices on various units to get an idea of resale value... Meg and rEvo and the two that appear to "hold their value".

Here's a MKVI you could have picked up for $2800... There's another for sale currently at $4600 and dropping...
http://www.rebreatherworld.com/rebr...-for-sale-poseidon-mk6-rebreather-system.html

Very few MK VI's nead head unit service, and they are not that expensive to maintain. The limitation you speak of does not exsist. Firmware version 48 and a change of battery to 48M gives you depth to 48 meters, decompression and use of trimix. The MK VI is actually a great rebreather.

Now, whether it is worth the investment of time and money for you is a choice only you can make. I have dived several rebreathers and have trainined on the MK VI. Of all of them I like the MK VI the best.

How much did that 48M battery upgrade cost? No electronics redundancy? I don't train or sell MKVI's so I could not care less what people dive, only that there are many better units to choose from.

You can confirm the head needs to go back to Sweden or is there somewhere in the USA that now provides all MKVI service?

The second hand market speaks for itself.

Last edited:
How much did that 48M battery upgrade cost? No electronics redundancy? I don't train or sell MKVI's so I could not care less what people dive, only that there are many better units to choose from.

You can confirm the head needs to go back to Sweden or is there somewhere in the USA that now provides all MKVI service?

The second hand market speaks for itself.

You really don't see too many of these for sale, which might indicate to me that the owners love them and are not selling. The few that have been on RBW lately are several years old. If I can find a deal on a Meg or Revo in the classifieds does that make them crap rebreathers? Not saying the MKVI is good or bad, but you can't find many posts from unhappy owners, most owners seem to love them. The heads can be serviced at local dive shops that are trained to do so.

I am interested in eventually getting into a rebreather. I have been looking at the Posedion Mark VI. If I am looking to do NDL diving, is it worth to get a rebreather? I am looking to primarily use this if possible when I go liveboards. I am hopefully going to the Socorro Island in 2015 again. Most of the diving here is deep and do not get a lot of bottom time on 100. Also, I do UW Photography. With the possibility of humpbacks in the water, I would also be able hopefully to photograph these on while on a rebreather.

Would a rebreather be something that I should consider pursuing based on the facts I have listed above.

Sean

Hi Sean
When you say deep how deep? and how long?
Rebreather will definitely help you get closer to the animals. It will increase the length of time you stay under water.
If you are of the kind of person who is willing to maintain the equipment and follow all the checklists. then rebreather could be a way for you to go.
If you prefer to leave your gear in the garage from one dive to the next and not completely check it over each time. stay open circuit.
Rebreahters and an amazing TOOL if treated with respect.

1.3 I am wondering if you have actually dove a Mark 6 or any other rebreather.
The Mark 6 like all other rebreathers has good points and bad points.

I have not yet dove on a rebreather My training is first week of April on the Mark 6 and an Evo+

If you want to stay in the ndl world an never cross over to decompression, you could also look at the Hollis explorer. It is a much simpler unit that for the recreational minded offers the same benefits as the mk vi.

On your question if a rebreather will benefit you, giving that you are a deep diver and photo bug then I would say yes it would. The mk vi will allow you to dive right up to ndl and allow you to get close to critters.

On the cost, you can expect the yearly total maintenance cost to be about 500 to 750 a yr and the per cost dive (scrubber, gas etc...) to hover around $20 a dive.

Daru

The Hollis will not offer same NDL as the Mk6 as it is a semi closed that works of one nitrox gas bottle. it does not control your PPO2 set point in the same way a fully closed rebreather will and hence you will not get the same level of NDL for a multilevel dive.

In am aware that the Hollis is a SCR. I have had the luck of diving with people who have them. Realistically, the ndl difference will not be that much because the the explorer will run at a higher ppo2 at deeper depths then the mkvi (unless it allows 1.5-1.6 ppo2) thus gaining NDL there while losing it in shawllow depths.

Back
Top Bottom