Poseidon Mark VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sean
When you say deep how deep? and how long?

Well for example when I dive the Socorros those dives are 75 plus. I would like to be able to stay down longer than what a Steel 100 would give me. Also, with the re-breather and doing photography work I can linger around. I know these are expensive units but feel that the ability to just sit and linger to get the shot would be worth the cost.

The Hollis will not offer same NDL as the Mk6 as it is a semi closed that works of one nitrox gas bottle. it does not control your PPO2 set point in the same way a fully closed rebreather will and hence you will not get the same level of NDL for a multilevel dive.

Ordinarily, you would be correct Big Stig. SCRs do run off nitrox so it affects your PP02 and TBT more than a CCR. But in this case you can actually set the PP02 manually to what you want in the Explorer. This can be like 0.3-0.5 when you go shallower or 1.6 for deeper dives. Personally, I think it works to be about the same. I do 1.6 on deco when I tec dive but I never set my computer to 1.6 when I do a normal nitrox dive. I always prefer the added conservative factor and dive with 1.4 as it is standardized so. In those aspects the Hollis and Poseidon should have the same PP02.

On that note, I am certified on the MKVI and your bottom time doesn't increase as much as you think it would. I love rebreathers and it is my favorite form of diving but to someone looking to dive deeper, longer... then nitrox might be the most cost-effective solution. I hope this helps.

One question I have, as a RB-virgin, is why extend bottom time with an RB within NDL? It would be cheaper, easier, and safer to do AN/DP or some other Tec training and just dive double tanks and deco out on EANx50 or 02.

So, the RDP for EAN36 shows the NDL for 80ft at 55 minutes. That's nearly an HOUR of bottom time. If you did a Tec dive with EAN50 for deco and EAN36 for bottom gas, you could get 85 minutes of bottom time at 75ft with less than 10 minutes of deco obligation. Bump that to EAN40 and EAN100, you get 130 minutes of bottom time and less than 10 minutes of deco obligation. I mean, Tech diving isn't cheap....but it's leaps and bounds cheaper than diving an RB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom