Funny diving stories for the book I should write....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sitting in the office one day and one of our divers walks in with her camera. She tells me,

Diver: "Pedro said that you are the camera expert on staff, so you could probably help me out with this."

Me: "sure, what do you need help with?"

Diver: "Well, as soon as I got down, the display went blank and the camera quit working."

Me: "I said, let me look at it" - so she hands me the camera and the first thing I do is open the battery and card compartment. There was water and already some corrosion going on.

Me: "It looks like your camera flooded. Which housing do you have and did you bring it wioth you? Did you see any water in the housing during the dive or when you removed the camera from the housing.?"

Diver: Looked at me as if I had 3 heads and 1000% serious said "What's a housing?"

I buried my head in my hands and said, "You're not kidding are you?"

She said "no" as she shook her head and looked at me with blank eyes

I pulled the housing I have for rental cameras off the shelf and said, "it looks similar to this, they make them for certain cameras so that you can dive with them and submerge them in water without damaging the camera."

She went into a FIT saying "DAMMIT, THEY TOLD ME it was good to 100 feet" - I can't believe they lied to me!!!!"

I said, well yes, the cameras are also rated to a certain depth due to the pressure changes, but that is with a housing - not the camera alone. And BTW, who is THEY?"

She said: "The guy at Circuit City who sold me the damned piece of crap." (obviously before CC went under)

It didn't get any better after that - she then could not understand why I couldn't recover the pictures she had taken off of the card - she accepted the fact that the camera was toast at that point after being submerged at pressure for TWO dives - but she could not wrap her mind around the fact that there WERE NO pictures to recover because she had not taken any pictures because the camera stopped working almost immediately!!!!!

Talk about an airhead! THe next day, Pedro asked me if she had come to talk to me and had I fixed her camera - he had a smirk on his face. I looked at him and said "WHY didn't you warn me of that one?" hahaha

He ust started laughing! He said, I was trying to be nice to her on the boat, but I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that she had the camera with no housing and didn't understand why it didn't work - so I just sent her to you jefaq?"

To this day, we joke about it and he briefs the divers with cameras to make sure their camera is in the housing! hahahahaa

Are you implying that Circuit City wasn't at fault? lol.. that was a good read.

Are you implying that Circuit City wasn't at fault? lol.. that was a good read.

She certainly thought they were - hahaha! I wouldn't be surprised at all if she did go back to Circuit City when she got back and gave that poor salesman an earful! SHe was talking about it and upset the entire week. I did feel bad for her -and I forgot to add that I gave her a rental camera for the week at no charge with the agreement that she did nothing but point and shoot! I was the only one to open the housing, seal it, and charge the batteries - then I would be responsible if there was a flooding situation. I downloaded her photos for her onto a CD - so at least she was able to get some shots of her trip :) She left very happy :)

Last edited:
She certainly thought they were - hahaha! I wouldn't be surprised at all if she did go back to Circuit City when she got back and gave that poor salesman an earful! SHe was talking about it and upset the entire week. I did feel bad for her -and I forgot to add that I gave her a rental camera for the week at no charge with the agreement that she did nothing but point and shoot! I was the only one to open the housing, seal it, and charge the batteries - then I would be responsible if there was a flooding situation. I downloaded her photos for her onto a CD - so at least she was able to get some shots of her trip :) She left very happy :)

HAHA!!! You're the best!!!

On a dive trip to Aruba I dove with Pelican Adventures. The dive shop is located on Pelican Pier and has The Pelican restaurant behind it. When I arrived for my afternoon dive there was one diver there waiting and they were working on the boat motors. I asked the DM if we would be going out. She said yes but it would be about a half hour or so before we leave and we could go over to the restaurant if we wanted. My new buddy and I sat at the bar. they had the "pelican burger" as the special for the day. My buddy asked "how is the pelican burger." The bartender said "its vary good." My buddy asked "dose it taste like chicken." She said "no it tastes like a hamburger." My buddy said "oh I never had pelican before." She looked at him like he was from outer space and said "its a hamburger we call it the pelican burger."

Christi, the funniest thing I have seen is when firstdive sat on a lionfish. Ask him about that when you see him. He can move really fast :rofl3:

There were 3 of us on a 100' drift dive in the keys.

I ran out of air first so I started surfacing along the line my buddy was using to tow the floating dive flag. At about 35' I found a brick on a string from a milk jug tangled in the line. I cleared it and durring my safety stop at 20' I started seeing fish hooks and bait.

I surfaced and found a fishing boat and the guys on it were mad at me saying we were "ruining thier fishing". I asked them why they were fishing so close to our dive flag they said they though it mean this was a good fishing spot.

The best was when they asked

"What type of fish does a red flag with a white stripe indicate?"

Last edited:
I don't know if this is funny, or just funny to me because it happened to my husband....

A week ago, my best friend and I went diving at our local lake. We had just returned from Hawaii and had removed the butt-plug from the back of our BCs before flying. She made it the hour and a half from her house to the lake only to find that she had never replaced the plug. So she borrows my husband's plug, who launches into a "pre-flight inspection checklist" tyraid... multiple times since that week might I add :-/

So Friday the husband and I make the 3 1/2 hour drive to Monterey to do some diving at the BW. The morning we are suppose to meet our friends, my "pre-flight inspection checklist" husband informs me that he forgot his regulator! The whole dang set-up! We go to the local dive shop and they do hook him up, but then they tell him their low-pressure inflator hose will not work on his integrated octo. So at this point, I be laughing my arse off that he is out a BC also. Luckily, the dive shop got everything sorted out and my husband was able to dive.

The audacity of it all was when I told him that his mistake was like that of my besties, he responded that all of the equipment he brought was in perfect working order, at least. All right buddy ;-) !!!

I'm guessing that they are referring to the bottom dump valve of their BC, so that their BC bladder is not a sealed unit during air travel.

However, I don't believe it necessary to remove this for air travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom