Swimming on your back with a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's like swimming on your back with a wing inflated :)

All kidding aside, if you have your BP/W properly setup it will be fine. You should expect to make some changes to the setup as you get some time on it.

It's very easy.

One tip -- if you're finding it difficult because you can't keep your feet in the water, you've forgotten your weight belt. (Unfortunately, I know this.)

Well it is pretty much no different from swimming on your back with a "regular" back inflate BC but it is MUCH different from swimming on your back with a full jacket BC because there is no squeezing of the stomach by the cummerbund and inflated air pockets on the front of the BC.

What is it like? Comfortable

I typically inflate just enough to keep my chin out of the water. I have watched new divers over inflate to the point that it looks painful.

With a steel tank it is a piece of cake. Feels like sitting in an easy chair. I will often lay on my back and rest too. Learning to keep the fins close to but not breaking the surface is important while swimming.

If it feels like you are balancing on an inner tube and you're constantly in danger of "falling off", you have too much air in the thing, pardna'. Deflate it until you are resting comfortably. Conversely, if you dump too much and your face goes under, TOO MUCH. Reinflate...you'll get the handle on it pretty quickly.

It's very easy and comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom