Question Do tank straps have to go through the back plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, the cam band slots didn't line up.

I ended up putting it back on the bigger backplate which wasn't ideal but worked ok and ordered an STA from DGX and will try again next time I go diving.

Thanks for sanity checking me. :)
I know it's slightly taboo but I like an STA for the rare times I dive singles. Makes it so much easier to switch my bp back and forth vs redoing cam bands. I can't tell a difference diving.

Ideally I should probably have 2 setups, but my singles wing is lent to my son when we dive together, so it needs to be easy to switch. Works for me.

Have fun

If it is the slots, and they are "close", you could possibly use the top slot with a normal (2") cam band strap, and then possibly use a 1" strap for the lower....

I know it's slightly taboo but I like an STA for the rare times I dive singles. Makes it so much easier to switch my bp back and forth vs redoing cam bands. I can't tell a difference diving.

Ideally I should probably have 2 setups, but my singles wing is lent to my son when we dive together, so it needs to be easy to switch. Works for me.

Have fun

It's not taboo in my book. I use an STA with my BP/W. As a matter of fact, my favorite go-to wings have no cam band slots. I also prefer using an STA vs not. It allows me significant flexibility in weighting options (2 plates and 2 STAs of various weights) and it allows me to fully tear down my kit to minimize the risk of damage to the wing that can occur when you start tossing around an assembled BP/W like I see done all the time.

1706107395168.png
1706107429331.png

STA Single Tank Adapters. They allow you to attach you cam bands to the STA and the STA is BOLTED to your Backplate. The most secure system that doesn't required the threading of your cam bands through the wing or BP.

Is the spacing the same and they just don't line up?
You don't need the bolts, the wing doesn't need to be bolted to the plate, the cambands holding the tank will trap the wing.
If the spacing is wrong then it becomes a moot point.

Slots on my Hollis 25 don't line up w/ other backplates. Initially I took the jigsaw to my el cheapo Alu one, but after upgrading to Eric's Shiny! I ended up cutting the wing.

Back
Top Bottom