Smoking on a dive boat customer poll

Does smoking on a dive boat affect your choice?

• No, I smoke and don't care if it is allowed or not

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • No, I don't smoke and don't care if it allowed or not

Votes: 51 30.2%
  • Yes, I smoke and will only dive on smoking boats

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Yes, I don't smoke and won't book with a smoking boat

Votes: 96 56.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Former smoker, now a non-smoker (2years! Yay!), could not care less.

I used to smoke 2 - 3 packs a day. I quit smoking 7 years ago. I will never go back to smoking.

I couldn´t care less if someone smokes. I would not date a chain smoker, definetively. But my current gf smokes one or two cigs a day, and Im fine with that. I usually share boats with smokers, but luckily the open sea is a beautiful place to let anyone do their business without being in your face. Wind helps a lot.

Smoked for almost 30 years, now a non-smoker, really don't care who smokes where.​

Don't smoke, did many years ago just a kid really. Couldn't care less how many or where people smoke.

It's going to always depend on the company's choice of Captain.

If the Captain they hire (or his GF) is a smoker, take a wild guess.

I prefer non smoking boat. If there is a smoker , I will tell him that if he has to smoke to stay away from me. Any smoke makes me cought.

Barilhu

I voted on the last option. If I had the choice between a non-smoking boat and one that allows smoking, the non-smoking boat would get my business but if the choice wasn't there, I could tolerate it. I'm not opposed to smoking being allowed on boats as long as they can be accommodated for in areas not shared with non-smokers.

Most my diving is with my club so I have to follow the group's choice. The vast majority of the people I dive with are non-smokers but there are the odd one or two smokers on some trips. The smokers I know always show courtesy to others (either by going outside (legal requirement in the UK anyway), moving downwind of us if we are outdoors) so we don't mind looking for somewhere that can accommodate them.

Don't smoke, never have smoked, won't be starting anytime soon. If you allow smokers on your boat, I will look for another charter and yours will be last on the list with a possibility of me not diving at all. That's how much I dislike smoke.

Ditto, but another disgusting habit is chewers spitting in their plastic bottles. They will also get me going. People can be pigs.

I usually share boats with smokers, but luckily the open sea is a beautiful place to let anyone do their business without being in your face. Wind helps a lot.
Wind can also make it much worse. All depends on where they smoke and where the wind is coming from. In my experience, it doesn't even occur to them to try to sit downwind from other people.

Not enough options in your poll IMHO. I used to smoke (nearly 40 years ago) and if I hadn't quit back then I probably would not still be diving today. Despite being a reformed smoker, I have some empathy for smokers who are hooked on a highly addictive substance that is very difficult to withdraw from.

I prefer boats where smoking is not allowed, but if smokers do so near the stern of the boat when it is underway and their smoke does not affect the rest of the divers, I have little problem with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom