Sinking the Lulu off AL coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're doing it wrong. The Gulf of Mexico is in the Western longitudes.

N29 59.520 W87 33.037

When 29° 59.520'n 87° 33.037'w is plugged into my chart it puts the location hundreds of miles into the gulf not 17 miles ?

Yeah, I get just about the same thing, but that is what is listed on the Alabama Dept of Natural Resources Saltwater fishing guide.

The track LuLu site had her at Latitude : (N) 29.99252 Longitude : (W)-87.55197

At 1435 on the day she was sunk.

That works out much better on Google Earth and looks about (measures with the tool) 17.5 miles from the pass.

When 29° 59.520'n 87° 33.037'w is plugged into my chart it puts the location hundreds of miles into the gulf not 17 miles ?

Not an expert on the matter but read this info;

"You need to be aware that you must set the GPS to the correct Map Datum, not only for the country you are in, but also for the map or chart that you are using" perhaps this applies to the coordinates given compared to plugging it into an internet map???????????

Not an expert on the matter but read this info;

"You need to be aware that you must set the GPS to the correct Map Datum, not only for the country you are in, but also for the map or chart that you are using" perhaps this applies to the coordinates given compared to plugging it into an internet map???????????

I think there is some confusion when you plug coordinates into internet maps using degrees, minutes, seconds; the coordinates with the decimal point (Decimal degrees) simplify all that. Check out the converter for coordinates anywhere GPS Coordinate Converter, Maps and Info

Yes, I'm almost 100% sure that the mark was in the 17-mile area on my chart when I dialed it in using the numbers above. As Peter and Scubamiller said above, there are many different formats to GPS coordinates. You need to be sure the format you are using is properly translated to the map or chart you plan to use.

Back
Top Bottom