How many tech "solo" divers are on the solo forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mostly dive solo. I rarely do exploration with other people and I like the freedom to change my dive plan on a whim if I see a cool passage I want to check out and have the gas to do so.

I have done solodives up to 60m (trimix and 2 decogases). Most solodives are shallow. I prefer diving with a buddy or in a team. But sometimes no buddy's.

I dive intentionally solo sometimes. These dives have included ice dives, zero visibility dives in a river, and dives in the zero visibility sump. Usually there has been some surface support, with at least a theoretical ability to help. Completely solo I have only beet at shallow quarries.

With proper equipment and mentality these are quite safe dives. I've been at a far greater risk on some buddy dives, where peer pressure, communication problems and all those "oops, I though YOU would..." have caused some incidents.

I do not have the courage to dive solo at sea where there are wind, waves, currents, fishing nets and nasty propellers.

Solid walls and a roof make a relaxing dive as does the complete lack of peer pressure.

I just got in my first solo cave dives.. so I guess I can raise my hand now LOL

I never really planned to start tec diving but liked the idea of diving alone and was already doing so.
I looked at the SDI/TDI solo course (only one available at the time) but decided I would have a skill set more suited for solo diving if I opted for technical training.
Now I almost exclusively dive alone, and tec dive alone, unless its a training dive or a new location.

Most of my diving is solo, and has been for 50 years. The idea of asking some newby (to me) to certify me as a solo diver is absurd and insulting. Five minutes of discussion is enough to establish that what they think they know came out of a book, or is just some slightly modified version of that tired old AOW crap.

I enjoy solo diving with vintage equipment, especially in shallow water, up to about 50 feet sw. This means no BCD, just a plastic back pack, weight belt, knife, no computer, 30+ year old regulator that I service myself, no extra second stage, and a wrist mounted old but accurate capillary depth/compass combo. I do use an SPG. Foolish not to.

The sense of streamlined unencumbered freedom reminds me how simple things used to be, long ago, before intrusive self-appointed official type people began asking for your 'papers' as in some old movie, and before hilariously image conscious over equipped multi carded very serious types inherited what had been a really fun activity.

Sorry everyone but this has been bouncing in my mind for a bit.
I am not sure why the upwelling of splitting forums has come about but not only on SB but other places as well.
No offense to starting a new forum or for other types of diving / clubs just interested in how many Solo divers do tech dives?

Not quite sure if you're asking if solo divers also also sometimes tech divers or if you're asking if people make some tech dives while solo.

In my case I sometimes make tech dives while solo. Particularly wreck dives. I think doing solo wreck dives can actually involve a considerable increase to risk as compared to having a buddy who can help you with things like snagging etc. but on the other hand, some tasks are considerably more complicated/inefficient to execute in pairs. Depending on the wreck and what we want to accomplish, buddy teams may be loose, connected or unconnected.

A good number of my wreck dives also involve some kind of deco obligation and often times we'll reconnect just before or during the ascent. This is actually pretty common for North Sea wreck divers. I'm not an exception in this. Every year one or two people die because of this way of diving but it's usually related to things like heart attacks. A fair number of the "old guard" are not text book examples of fitness and positive life style choices.

R..

R..

I am certified to teach the PADI Self Reliant divers course. I also dive solo for most of my dives. I choose to dive solo because I dive with recreational charters and I do not want to buddy with an OW certified diver, especially if we are diving a wreck and I can explore inside. I also dive doubles and have a better SAC rate than most of the rec divers do. Diving solo lets me spend the time under the water the way I want to and alleviating the anxiety of worrying about the air/training/experience of having a buddy.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom