New diver.. New Mask prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toothpaste worked fine on my cressi's but i have to burn the H20 onyx frameless as toothpaste doesnt seem to be working, i tried twice and it didnt work, but when i put a flame to it sure enough there was black residue.

Does your Atomic Mask have a clear lens or is it polarized? If it is polarized I would not use toothpaste on it until you know for sure that the polarizing coating is embedded inside the lens and not just on the inside surface. You can scratch the crap out of your mask if it is on the surface of the inner side of the mask.

As for the burning trick. I just bought a brand new Hollis M4 mask and used the lighter trick and it worked great. You have to move the lighter and do not hold it on the glass or in one spot for too long. Use the toothpaste everyone is talking about with a tooth brush after you burn the silicone off the inside of the lens. Rinse and repeat as needed. My wife's ScubaPro Mini Spectra took two attempts and my Mini Spectra (polarized) took 5 times. I have not dove the Mini except in the pool since the treatment but it did not fog in the pool. I dove my Hollis in a lake on Sunday and all I did was spit in it to keep it from fogging up.

You may end up treating your mask the same number of times with the lighter but you will use a lot less elbow grease in the process.

Here is a link to the video I watched to learn how to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxkqJqM6UTA

Get some Chlorox powder, scrub the lenses good, rinse it off. Works much better than toothpaste.

I don't care for the lighter trick either.

I don't think the Framless is offered with an ARC/polarized coating for him to mess up. The subframe and the venom are, though.

What they all said. Plus a few more points. First, you cannot use defog of any kind as your initial scrubbing method. Doesn't work.
Second, before every dive, you still need to defog the mask, with either commercial defog or saliva.
If you do the toothpaste thing, scrub the inside for about 15 minutes. Anything less will leave you unhappy. When the toothpaste gets a bit dry, add one or two drops of water - no more - and keep scrubbing. Then give it a good rinse.

+1 for the lighter. Works great. Another method I have heard of, but have not tried...poor Coke into the mask to fully cover the lens and let it set overnight. Rinse mask well.

Okay how about one of these-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372077256.021938.jpg

Website says: "Note: The special finish on the mask may be damaged if cleaned with abrasive products."

Have tried toothpaste a couple of times but still fogs. Do I have to worry about scrubbing the film off? I can't find anything that says it is on the inside or outside.

The lighter trick works - Just make sure the mask has tempered glass lenses and not plastic.

This needs to be emphasized.

Okay how about one of these-

View attachment 157951

Website says: "Note: The special finish on the mask may be damaged if cleaned with abrasive products."

Have tried toothpaste a couple of times but still fogs. Do I have to worry about scrubbing the film off? I can't find anything that says it is on the inside or outside.

My first ScubaPro Mini Spectra had the coating on the outside of the glass inside the mask...does that make sense? The LDS manager said to take tooth paste to it to clean it out. When I did, it scratched the hell out of it. When I called him, he said that he forgot I had the 2011 model and that the coating was not encased internally in the glass. He replaced the mask for me with a 2012 model and I was able to use tooth paste on it. Which by the way did not work so I took the lighter to it and it took the coating off after about 4-5 rounds plus a little bit of scrubbing with tooth paste. The thing about using the tooth paste was that it was only light scrubbing and that was just to get the burnt silicone off of the glass.

Also...

Remember the glass has to be tempered and NOT plastic!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom