Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I was diving Breakwater today, there were a couple commercial fishing boats pretty close by, I assume going for squid. While I was diving, I kept hearing and feeling explosions going off. Anyone know what was happening? These boats blast fishing right next to Breakwater seems absurb

I dove Cabrillo Point Sunday, and skipped B/w in the afternoon due to vis conditions, I saw those 2 grey boats dragging nets too, I thought the area was protected ???

Those fishing boats were definitely too close for comfort. My dive buddy heard a metal clanging underwater from one of them.

The clanging was seal bombs, basically an M80 firecracker, that are used to scare off the sea lions. You can hear them a long way off

The protected area off the breakwater (Ed Rickets SMCA) runs from the tip of the breakwater toward a point a little inside the mile buoy off Hopkins. It ends off the aquarium. The only commercial take allowed is giant kelp, and then only under certain circumstances. No spearfishing.

We were a bit past the metridiums and we heard and felt the explosions go off every several seconds for a few minutes. It felt like a small electric shock thru the water.

Did 2 at Breakwater. One at pipes the other along wall. 15ft vis. Saw several Egg Yolk jellies.
Haven't tried Monastery for a bit since I haven't heard any good reports. Wanted to dive wharf 2 but they were off loading the squid boat and a bunch of crap was in the water. Didn't hear any Seal Bombs.

Chuck, I have a question about swell information on your site. Today I thought the winds would be SW, since that's the direction on the Scripps model, but on the Offshore Coastal and Marine Forecast's page it says NW winds. Am I just misinterpreting one o' the two? Or do they sometimes conflict each other?

---------- Post added August 1st, 2013 at 12:45 AM ----------

Must have been SW after all, since Monastery and Lover's 3 were so relaxed today. Could just lay where the waves normally crash at Monastery as calmly as you would in a Carribean resort pool. 15-20 ft vis at both spots.

North Monastery in shallows had about 30ft vis. As you swam out vis dropped to around 15-20. I stayed in shallows whole dive and had a couple of Harbor Seals playing with me for a half hour. One got so close my camera wouldn't focus. It was snuggling up to me like a puppy. It was awesome. Every time I went to take a picture of something else they came up to me again and wanted to play.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/9464110162/in/photostream

He was further away for this shot.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom