Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the trick is to zap them first, before they get you. Extend your hand with your alternate air source in it out in front of you, sneak up under a nettle, then give it a blast of air. They go shooting up to the surface and explode. When the nettles get really thick, this is how I have to clear a path in order to move forward. It sort of reminds me of doing mine sweeps in Viet Nam.

And the best part is you'll entertain all the paddle boarders up top. :D

It sort of reminds me of doing mine sweeps in Viet Nam.
With this image, I no longer have any apprehension of diving with nettles.

You can also pick up crabs, the bigger the better, and drop them in the center of the bell. The crabs catch on quickly and usually commence eating jelly before the pair hits the bottom.

I think I have a list of things to try out tomorrow. J/K

Last edited:
Not to be a spoil sport, but isn't the golden rule of scuba the same as at gentleman's bars? "Look, don't touch." I feel bad enough just accidentally kicking sea stars off their rocks, don't think I could handle making crabfood out of a jelly :p

Are nettle swarms common in fall/winter? I haven't seen any diving yet, but when whale watching last October it looked like there was more nettles than there was water. Can't wait to see one up close!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom