DIY Boots, Gloves, Air Dryer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have specifics, but if it's a 120 mm fan, you should be able to find them at most computer stores (though they may be DC, not AC).

I got you now. I was thinking the whole box was some sort of preassembled unit. Any idea on the boxes? Is this something you just bend and assemble out of raw sheets of aluminum (like for duct work)?

Hi Rand, the case was done with two pieces of zinc metal plates bended in a workshop that make rain collectors for roofs. The front cover is the fan, the rear cover is a wooden plate painted with aluminium paint.
The fan is an standard telecom rack fan for 220 Vca (in my country this is the voltage rating) 120 mm x 120 mm x 38 mm
The two pieces box is assembled with aluminium rivets.
I'm attaching a pic from the opposite side.

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Glad you like the design, best of all it dries your gear pretty quick on it eliminates the stink!

Hi R2K2, thanks for sharing your nice idea and work.
Once gathered the pieces, it took me only 3 hours to have it finished and running.

Last edited:
More or less this is how I did the box.
The interior size is 120 mm x 120 mm
The galvanized metal plate is 0,7 mm thick (gauge 22).

Attachments

• metal-plates.JPG
    metal-plates.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 687
Well the real life test.
I went riding with my Jetski with the family. To ride the Jetski I use the same boots that I have for diving.
My daughter has some kind of neoprene wet sport shoes.
We rode in a plain lake. The waters are rain collected so they are brown with less that 1/4 foot visibility. Just to let you know that those waters are far from clean.
After a whole afternoon riding, we rinsed the boots with fresh water and store them in the car trunk inside a nylon bag to arrive home. At home, one hour draining water hanging and then to the "dryer machine". After an hour blowing ambient air, both pairs of boots were fully dry ready to store. No sewage smell inside.

I'm pretty sure you could pick up those fans from Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!
they look like standard computer / server fans.
I read of someone who used more of a shop vac type blower and even has flex hoses running up into his hanging wetsuit. He claims all his gear is completely dry in less than an hour. Boots & Gloves in 20 min.
He didn't post pics or specs, but I think I could imagine such a device. At least how I would set it up and then plug my shopvac hose into it. (my shop vac has input and output air ducts)

I'm pretty sure you could pick up those fans from Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!
they look like standard computer / server fans.
I read of someone who used more of a shop vac type blower and even has flex hoses running up into his hanging wetsuit. He claims all his gear is completely dry in less than an hour. Boots & Gloves in 20 min.
He didn't post pics or specs, but I think I could imagine such a device. At least how I would set it up and then plug my shopvac hose into it. (my shop vac has input and output air ducts)

Something I've learned is that the electric motor should be brushless, as electric sparks produce ozone, which harms neoprene. Brushless electric motors are AC powered with Squirrel-cage rotor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom