DIY Boots, Gloves, Air Dryer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R2K2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here is an gear dryer I made. I wanted fast drying time. This has no heat simply a server rack fan enlosed in a box and 1 inch conduit.

I use it for my boots, gloves, weight pockets, no more smelly boots. :D

Gear is dry in a few hours.

I will be adding a timer to it soon! :dork2:

Attachments

• IMG00087.jpg
    IMG00087.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 11,279
One enhancement possible... I see you have 2 extra tubes with holes wher probably most of your air will flow (less resistance as not covered), so if you could add a valve to turn off the unused tubes, this will direct the air to only the tubes where needed :) And you could build a min of working hose and a few optional ones with valves :D Most probably you always will have 2 gloves all the time or 2 boots or both... It depends on your gear :) ike I would only have all the times 2 gloves, only adding boots when I dive my semi-dry (my dry suit has built-in boots).
When I'm back home, I will build a rack on similar concepts that I found here !

Great idea, great design, and most of all, it works !

Good job! Any specs on the fan - size / speed / airflow?
The fan measures 4-11/16" X 4-11/16" X 1-1/2" (119mm X 119mm X 38.5mm)
The hole pattern is 4-1/8" X 4-1/8" (104.8mm X 104.8mm)
its is a 115V fan and moves about 90CFM.

The AC fan is a bit noiser then a DC fan but an AC is much simpler for this application no DC power supply needed. OR if you had a DC power supply you could wire it in directly.
The box is 6" x 6" x 24" and is made of 1/4 inch aluminum.

The tubes are made of 1" conduit with holes drilled on the sides.

One enhancement possible... I see you have 2 extra tubes with holes wher probably most of your air will flow (less resistance as not covered), so if you could add a valve to turn off the unused tubes, this will direct the air to only the tubes where needed :) And you could build a min of working hose and a few optional ones with valves :D Most probably you always will have 2 gloves all the time or 2 boots or both... It depends on your gear :) ike I would only have all the times 2 gloves, only adding boots when I dive my semi-dry (my dry suit has built-in boots).
When I'm back home, I will build a rack on similar concepts that I found here !

Great idea, great design, and most of all, it works !
I have some hoses that I did not show that I attach to the unused tubes and stick them through the legs of my wetsuit, that works slick too. You may not want to plug too many holes and make the fan work too hard it may burn it up. I agree you will have more air moving through the tubes that are open but your overall fan output (CFM) IMHO will drop.

I have some hoses that I did not show that I attach to the unused tubes and stick them through the legs of my wetsuit, that works slick too. You may not want to plug too many holes and make the fan work too hard it may burn it up. I agree you will have more air moving through the tubes that are open but your overall fan output (CFM) IMHO will drop.

Actually, the fan motor works harder when there is NO restriction of the airflow. I know this seems counter-intuitive, and as an engineer, I could go into all kinds of ugly math and sh**, but think about it - when you load a motor, it slows down. When you block a fan (or a vacuum, which is pretty much the same thing), it SPEEDS UP. This is because blocking the airflow UNloads the motor.

So I say Block Away! Put that air flow where it can do some good! You'll save time, electricity, and wear and tear on your fan at the same time.

D

Very nice device. I´m gathering the pieces to make my own similar to yours.
Box, fan, tubes, etc.
I´ll post a pic of the device when finished.
That´s the point, to avoid the nasty sewerage smell of the boots and gloves.

Last edited:
This is what I did.
Works great.
The fan is a 120 mm standard fan to cool telecommunications racks.

Attachments

• IMG_3592_small.jpg
    IMG_3592_small.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 2,673
  • IMG_3597_small.jpg
    IMG_3597_small.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 2,604
Last edited:
Glad you like the design, best of all it dries your gear pretty quick on it eliminates the stink!

Does anyone have a source for the fans pictured in this thread?

Back
Top Bottom